starting strength gym

Thread: protein and nighttime urination

Default protein and nighttime urination

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Jordan- I have been getting up at night to use the bathroom since adopting a paleo diet. I first surmised that I was drinking too much water . This led to minor improvement. I am not overly low carb and hit 150+ on training days. Rest day carbs vary but can get low. As far as protein consumption I am hitting 2 lbs of turkey a day and then eating stuff like eggs as well.

My gut tells me that i am eating an unnatural amount of protein. However, there is incredible anecdotal support within thestrength and muscle community for high protein diets. Seldom do i hear mention of ancillary urination problems. Is it b e cause most supplement with protein shakes which are more easily processed? #2 of meat daily seems like overkill ( FYI 21g protein per 4 oz so I am getting about 1g per lb at 6'0 and 180 lb.

Well if you're really eating only 180g of protein a day (though if you're eating 2lbs of turkey + other protein sources and trace protein sources it's probably higher...) I'd find that unlikely to cause nocturia (peeing at night). Usually peeing at night sets off alarm bells in docs' brains about prostate issues so it'd be helpful to know your age regarding that. Also, how much fluid do you take in a day and when is your last drink? When do you train during the day?

As far as eating too much protein, you don't need more than 75g a day or so. Optimally, however- you're probably going to want to get 180 or so total grams of protein since you're not a vegetardian.

Getting up once a night - not a big deal. Getting up >2 times a night with a rather rapid onset would have me sending your piss to a doc.