starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total newbie with lower back injury - how do I avoid problems?

Unhappy Total newbie with lower back injury - how do I avoid problems?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    About to start the program and I'm posting pre-emptively as I'm nervous about exacerbating an existing lower back injury I have.

I'm concerned that squats or deadlifts may be a problem. From SS 3rd edt. the only advice I can find is that a belt may be necessary for me.

Does anyone else have experience with lifting with a lower back problem? How do you manage it? Can you recommend anything?

My details below. Thanks in advance for any input.

- Demo data: 28, Male, total newbie

- Chief Complaint: lower back injury which makes me nervous to lift weight. Hurts mostly when 'lean back' or tilt my pelvis forward. I would describe the pain as stemming from where my lower back meets my pelvis, that area.

- Narrative describing the mechanism of injury: I dropped my motorbike and tried to hold it upright (unsuccessfully) about 4-5 years back. Short while later I couldn't walk or move much due to the tremendous pain. Never sought proper treatment, and it subsided after a week or so. Now it doesn't bother me too much unless it flares up due to me moving lifting something heavy inappropriately (eg. twisting at the hips holding a box).

- Pain (on a scale of 1-10): 9 or 10 when flared up, 1 or 2 when not

- Describe the pain: ache/sharp

- What makes it better?: lying down

- What makes it worse?: sitting for long periods or twisting or leaning back

- How do your symptoms behave throughout the day?: dull ache at work (sitting for long period)

You avoid problems by starting light, using good form and working up in a progressive programme which will hopefully strengthen your back and help rehab the old injury.

If you are concerned about structural damage then you should really see a doc and get it scanned.

In addition to the above....

Listen to Rip's podcast on back pain.

And I'd strongly consider some coaching with a SS coach. I wasted almost two years working up in weight, only to flare up my back problems and then resetting. Repeat ad nauseum. A coach can tailor your form deficiencies and save you a lot of time and pain. I still go back every few months as the weight gets heavier and the form starts to waver.

I strongly suggest that you follow vanslix's recommendations. A coach can tell you precisely what to do to strengthen your back and what not to do in order to avoid problems. SS is the Gold standard but it was works best with a certified SS coach. Check this page for Coaches. Stay away from "trainers."

Hey man, starting out with a pre-existing back injury can be scary for sure. But you have to understand that the only way to rehab an injured part/area is to use it in its anatomically normal way. This is what PT's and doctors fail to realize. As has been said already, start light, make sure your form is perfect, and you can probably rehab yourself to as good as new and better under the barbell. Look up Brian Broke Legs's story if you remain unconvinced. But perfect form is not an option for you, it's an absolute must. Take it a little slow and remember that we're here to help, and we love properly filmed form check videos.

Thanks guys - you've made me feel heaps more confident that I can (carefully) manage this. I failed to mention I have been seeing a PT who advises I stick to body weight pilates - but I simply don't accept that this will be any more beneficial for me that starting lifts at very low weight.

I'm in Australia, and I would love to have an SS coach, but as far as I can tell there's simply none here. If anyone's aware of someone in the Sydney area please hook me up! I'm also not prepared to invest the money in a normal personal trainer, as I simply don't trust them to coach me properly (plus it's expensive).

I will check out Rips podcast, and will definitely be uploading a form check video after my first few sets!

Not sure where he is based but i think kyle is an australian ssc. He's a frequent poster on here keep an eye out youll find him.

Edit here you go: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ber.php?u=4104
    Last edited by danlightbulb; 10-30-2014 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    Not sure where he is based but i think kyle is an australian ssc. He's a frequent poster on here keep an eye out youll find him.

Edit here you go: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ber.php?u=4104
    No, he's not. But he's familiar with the SS model.

He's Sydney-based, though. Probably a little too far from Melbourne to be viable for personal coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by tilia View Post
    Thanks guys - you've made me feel heaps more confident that I can (carefully) manage this. I failed to mention I have been seeing a PT who advises I stick to body weight pilates - but I simply don't accept that this will be any more beneficial for me that starting lifts at very low weight.

I'm in Australia, and I would love to have an SS coach, but as far as I can tell there's simply none here. If anyone's aware of someone in the Sydney area please hook me up! I'm also not prepared to invest the money in a normal personal trainer, as I simply don't trust them to coach me properly (plus it's expensive).

I will check out Rips podcast, and will definitely be uploading a form check video after my first few sets!
    You can also do online video coaching with a coach. Not sure if Kyle does that.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    You can also do online video coaching with a coach. Not sure if Kyle does that.
    Yeah, online "coaching" makes it quite hard to give real-time verbal and especially tactile cues during the set, but it probably beats not getting competent help when you need competent help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast