starting strength gym

Thread: Strange knee pain

Default Strange knee pain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have a friend who experiences an intense feeling of tightening up behind their knee at the top of a squat. As they begin and finish the movement it happens rather than right at the bottom. They say it feels like something tightens up and then releases causing them to feel like they get a lot of slack and lose strength in that leg. Has anyone got any idea what might be causing that and more importantly how to fix it?

Mayybbeee trigger points in the popliteus. Might be worth gently checking out the muscle, but I'd have him look up the anatomy and palpate carefully. You don't want to go crazy mashing on the whole area - the popliteal fossa is a busy place (nerves blood vessels lymphatics)

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    Mayybbeee trigger points in the popliteus. Might be worth gently checking out the muscle, but I'd have him look up the anatomy and palpate carefully. You don't want to go crazy mashing on the whole area - the popliteal fossa is a busy place (nerves blood vessels lymphatics)
    Just had the same pain...a day after mashing it with a lacrosse ball. Looks like I was a few days late on reading this post!

My reason for the "mashing," a youtube video from a Doctor I watched on crepitus in the knees. It recommended placing a lacrosse ball in the pop. fossa and gently flexing the joint to stretch ligaments. It also mentioned mashing just above the knee (anterior) in the patellar capsule...make any sense?
    Last edited by Mike Troxell; 12-11-2014 at 08:41 PM.