starting strength gym

Thread: A dreaded keto question....

Default A dreaded keto question....

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So i chose to try out keto after struggling with finding a successful way to eat and I immedately took to it. Getting calories in was easy, meals were eaten fast with no problem, was rarely getting hungry and I generally felt a little better. Training wise I kept gaining strength, dropped some body fat and weight and all was good. Now I've kind of hit a brick wall. My body fat looks to have stalled but my weight has gone back up from 186 to 196.
    I've been looking at discussions online but I'm failing to find the answer I'm looking for so here's my question. All the macros calculators put my protein requirement really quite low at 160g and the general consensus is that if I go too high I will knock myself out of ketosis. Does this still apply to strength training? I lift four days a week with a pretty high volume (10x10 currently) and 160g just sounds like I'll be the walking dead before, during and after training.

I weigh 196lbs with a body fat of around an average of 19%.

Yes, too much protein is certainly a possibility even whilst strength training because of the gluconeogenesis bump. 160g of protein from mostly animal sources is enough to optimize MPS within the context of a ketogenic diet, though the muscle growth potential for ketogenic diets is overall lower than a mixed diet.

Thanks. Ive actually managed to hit around 160g this week on average and I surprisingly don't feel like the walking dead. I don't mind at the moment if my muscle mass doesn't increase much as I'm trying to get my body fat down to somewhere around 13/15%.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    Thanks. Ive actually managed to hit around 160g this week on average and I surprisingly don't feel like the walking dead. I don't mind at the moment if my muscle mass doesn't increase much as I'm trying to get my body fat down to somewhere around 13/15%.
    Yep, keto will work well for that. :-)