starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check

Default squat form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    As per the advice I got in response to my last post, I decided to go ahead and record my squat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyonbmRRE48

Looking back at the video, my form seems pretty off, but I can't name exactly whats wrong. Feedback?

I'm sure someone will give you a more in-depth expert critique, but from my limited knowledge, it appears that your knees travel forward at the bottom of the squat. Are you shoving your knees out properly? It's hard to tell from this angle.

Yes, its hard to tell your feet position and if you're shoving your knees out from that angle. Also, I was distracted by that dude doing hopping around on spring loaded shoes. WTF was that? Man, I'm glad I lift at home.

I saw very little squatting. And what squatting I did see, was blurred through the tears of laughter at the hopping guy.

Yeah, the dude spent 1 hour+ hopping around on those things. Seemed like he was getting a pretty intense calf workout

I see no troublesome forward knee travel.. those squats look pretty decent from this angle. Might want to slow down the descent. And tell that kid to do something more useful, like jump squats or something

You don't have the customary let the knees slide forward issue at the bottom, but at the same time you never really get tight and your knees have a tendency to continue to move throughout the entire descent. Your knees should get where they need to go by halfway down and then stay there until you are halfway up again. On a related note, a few of your squats didn't quite break parallel. I suspect when your knees stay put, this will take care of itself. On the whole, things look decent. Most of the stuff I mentioned is small.

Also, if you post another video, set the camera up at a 45 degree angle to you and make sure that your head and feet are visible in the frame the entire time. It makes form checks a lot easier.

starting strength coach development program
    They weren't terrible but you need to sit back more.

The three things that I keep in the back of my mind when I squat are: Arch Hard, Sit Back, Knees Out.

Arch your lower back, sit back, and spread your knees throughout the lift. See what some other people comment with and give it another go. Come back with another video and we'll be happy to critique it as well.

-Hat