starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    http://vimeo.com/11765433
    !st time posting a check on my squat. That was my second set at 260. Any feedback would be appreciated thanks.

Knees are dropping in the hole real bad. Shove your knees out. Your knee position should not change after the first 1/3 of the descent. Take a look at what your doing with your knees to get depth. Depth is achieved via the hips, not knee angle. Do you have sore knees? If not, I would be very surprised.

I do shove my knees out. I used to not do it but when the weights got heavy I had lots of trouble. Regarding sore knees. I used to get sore from my knees when I didn't shove them out but now I rarely feel any of that. Heck I rarely get sore from squatting.

Your knees do seem to move forward in the last half of the squat.

What I noticed is your wrists... they are fully laid back which would kill my elbows. Have you had elbow pain? You need to place the palms over the bar so that the wrists are not laid back.

I'm aware of the grip problem. I'm working on it. Regarding my knees, should I shove them out a lot more to solve that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ignacio Magana View Post
    I'm aware of the grip problem. I'm working on it. Regarding my knees, should I shove them out a lot more to solve that?
    It's just how you're balancing, imho, and it's arguably one of the most common "errors" in squatting. If you were to get a clear shot from the side, you'd probably see the bar path deviate a little towards the front of your feet on the way down.

Imho, it's not a huge deal, secondary to setting your back better. But if you want to fix this, just get a little more into your hips. "Thinking" heels during your warmups might help you get there a little better. Knees should still be "out," but you don't need them crazy out (I honestly think some people exaggerate this cue) in order to solve this problem.

starting strength coach development program
    Squats look super solid man, almost easy for you. Wrist placement is a little strange but what ever, im sure you knew that already.

As for knees out and TUBOW, it may be worth remembering, if you post in this forum there's always going to be something wrong with your form.

No pain and good weight sounds like a thumbs up to me.