starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volume squat phenomenon

Default Volume squat phenomenon

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Started the Texas method approximately 6 weeks ago. I recall in one of your talks, when the Texas method was brought up, you gave an example that a lifter would do 405x5x5 and then on the intensity day they'd hit 445x5.

Now obviously this is just an example and the weight separation between volume and intensity day will be different for everybody, but my difference is absurdly small. I squatted 455x5x5 and failed to complete 470 for 5 reps on the following intensity day, getting just 4. This is not an isolated bad-day incident, as my volume work has consistently progressed better than my ID work. I drink 2 cups of coffee an hour before my warmups.

Thoughts on what's wrong with me and is this unusual?

If this has happened more than once, you are not recovering from volume day. So look at all the recovery factors and find the problem.

Thanks.

455 is almost 97% of 470. I would recommend increasing the offset between intensity and volume days. 90% is the starting recommendation in PPST3.

Yes, he should immediately go to 505 on intensity day.

Scratching my head on this one brother.

He's not recovering, and $10 says he's eating <3500kcal/day.

Quote Originally Posted by JD93 View Post
    I squatted 455x5x5 and failed to complete 470 for 5 reps on the following intensity day, getting just 4.
    Was that four reps followed by a failed rep, or four reps followed by re-racking without attempting a fifth rep? I don't know your specific situation, but often a "failed" set of five is due to prematurely assuming the fifth rep wouldn't come back up. Not likely for someone squatting 455x5x5, but possible.

I weigh 210lbs at 5'8" and I'm in a caloric surplus seeing as I'm gaining 2lbs or so a month. I don't count calories though, I just make sure I get a gram of protein per pound of body weight.

starting strength coach development program
    This has happened to me - Volume Day keeps progressing, but 5RM PRs on ID die quickly. Is it really that uncommon?

Isn't the standard advice to switch to 5 singles across on Friday? I.e. create a bigger poundage gap between VD and ID, and perhaps not as maximal an effort. (E.g. in OPs case, 495 5x1) Or even to lower volume slightly on Volume Day - 4x5, for example.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast