starting strength gym

Thread: Linear cycle what's next?

Default Linear cycle what's next?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi everyone,

I?m now re-building my previous strength level (or maybe getting some new Pr?s) with the linear cycle. I planned to continue doing? it for 3 months more or less.
    When I?ll get stuck I ?ll deload and try to re- building the weights for some weeks to see if something changes...and here I think I?ll make my homework right.

Then, when this cycle is over I?d like to start the Texas but since I still have problems with the adductor area , strangely only with the Squat, as I pass the 90 kg.... I don?t know if is it possible to start the program without it, (only with DL), I would like to follow the book...but...
    Another option I?ve read in the book which I like very much is the one that provides a loading phase of 3x5 and a peaking phase of 3x3.
    I guess I can put my best exercises in there also without the squat but, again, only the Deadlift.
    I like it because is simple and with a little variation you can do it for a long time.
    In fact I was thinking about do the exact number of reps the first time and change the loading phase reps to 10 and the peaking reps to 5. Just for a little hypertrophy work. What do you think?

Anyway, groin strain apart my current weights are as follows (two weekly routines):

Bench 210lb 3x5
    Incline bench 187lb (3x8)
    Pull ups 3 x failure with 22lb (8-7-5) or just bodyweight pull ups

Deadlift 320lb 3x5
    Press 122 3x5
    Weighted chins (my bodyweight is 76.5) + 45lb 3 sets to failure (8-8-6)
    Recently addedinamic Bench (first time I do it in my life) 132lb 10x3 little rest like ?15-20 (Maybe I should take 1 minute, but it feels light enough yet)

I?m going very well and I hope to reach my targets.

I really thank you all.
    This forum is a gold mine to me.

I realize that English is not your native language, but I don't really understand your question. What are you going to do about your squats?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I realize that English is not your native language, but I don't really understand your question. What are you going to do about your squats?
    That was my question Ripp...I'd like to move to Texas but without the Squat I don't know if it's as good.
    Yesterday in the gym I tried again... with my normal stance I felt a little pain in the adductor area, even if it seemed less than last time. Then, I tried to do it with my feet not pointing outward, I mean not straight ahead with a very close stance but I changed the angle a bit and and I've almost had any problem, I put 275lb. and did 3x5 quite easily (as I was supposed to do at this point in my cycle). I'm not so sure to insist in this way since I'm not looking for trouble, I only wanted to try to understand where the problem was really.
    Sorry if I was not clear...I should do more practice with your language (and try to make my bicepth grow- ah ah ah.)

Thanks for everything.

A closer stance with toes forward omits the adductors, and I have noted elsewhere that this is a way to train through a groin injury. But the program is not the Program without squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A closer stance with toes forward omits the adductors, and I have noted elsewhere that this is a way to train through a groin injury. But the program is not the Program without squats.
    Thanks for your reply.
    This is what I thought, so I'll see if I can go on doing my Squats like that. Maybe training around the injury will help, or maybe I'll have to quit my Squats for a while. Let's see.