starting strength gym

Thread: Squat recovery?

Default Squat recovery?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been doing the program for about 2 weeks, but I find I can't recover fast enough to squat 3 times a week. I'm considering knocking the amount I squat to 2 times per week and adding in pull ups on one of the days, but I figured I'd ask first because squats seem to be an integral part of the program. It's not that the weight I'm using is too heavy, it's just that by the time the third or even second day of the week rolls around my leg muscles are too sore to see the squat sets to completion.

Would stretching after working out help this? I don't stretch at all afterwards, and this could be the cause.

Stretching is not the problem. Recovery is the problem, and most people do not eat enough. This means YOU.

That's exactly what I've been doing wrong. Thanks.

In addition, I recently had an injury which tore off a decent chunk of flesh out of my left shoulder which is still in the process of healing. Obviously I don't want to put any weight on that for quite a while, so I've replaced regular squats with zercher squats. Is this a passable alternative? (Keep in mind I would do front squats except it still is putting large amounts of weight on the injured shoulder).

Pull Ups subbed for squats is an odd idea.

Seriously dude, you are no different than the dozens of kids I have put through this program and the hundreds Mark has put through the program. It works EVERY time with EVERY body, but you HAVE to do the WHOLE program....that includes a GOMAD and 3-4 big whole food meals on top of that.

Those who do this will grow quite large and strong, those who do not will burn out like you and then say the program sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by x_EN View Post
    In addition, I recently had an injury which tore off a decent chunk of flesh out of my left shoulder which is still in the process of healing. Obviously I don't want to put any weight on that for quite a while, so I've replaced regular squats with zercher squats. Is this a passable alternative? (Keep in mind I would do front squats except it still is putting large amounts of weight on the injured shoulder).
    Was the injury at the posterior side of the delt? I'm having trouble visualizing an injury that would make back squats bad and zerchers good.

It's a long laceration running from the front of my left shoulder to my upper back. I have no problem with soreness or using those muscles, it's just that a large amount of weight directly on the injury is a bad idea (and I've tried, both front and back squats put the bar directly on it). Zercher squats don't put any direct weight on it, so that's why I'm doing them. Is it a good replacement? Are they easier or more difficult than regular squats?

Those who do this will grow quite large and strong, those who do not will burn out like you and then say the program sucked.
    Hey, you won't hear me saying anything bad about a program that added 40 pounds to my deadlift in 2 weeks. I am sticking this out to the end. You are right about eating more though, that was the problem.

starting strength coach development program
    Zerchers are for crazy people, but they just might work for you. The problem is that your ability to do them is limited by things other than squat strength, so they don't work very well as a sub. Have you tried the old exercise called the Jefferson? It might be more useful until this laceration heals.