starting strength gym

Thread: After excruciating back pain, what's my next step?

Default After excruciating back pain, what's my next step?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    On February 26, 2017, I awoke and tried to get out of bed. I was hit by a horrible lower back pain out of the clear blue sky. I had not worked out since Feb 8 due to having shingles. I've never had back issues before nor did I do anything that I know of to cause a back injury. So I basically took 4 Ibuprofen every 4 hours to help me rest. After 2 days of this the pain sort of moved up to encompass the whole lower third of my back. This new pain felt more like back spasms.....

Two days later I could feel the light at the end of the tunnel. The pain started to subside and turned into a type of back muscle soreness. Tonight I can't feel any pain or discomfort at all.

Any idea on when I should start training again? I appreciate your help.

The general rule of thumb is that if the pain stays the same or gets worse while training, stop training. If the pain gets better during training, keep training. Other than that, neither my crystal ball nor my long distance x-ray vision are able to image your back and tell you what is wrong, and hence, what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    On February 26, 2017, I awoke and tried to get out of bed. I was hit by a horrible lower back pain out of the clear blue sky. I had not worked out since Feb 8 due to having shingles. I've never had back issues before nor did I do anything that I know of to cause a back injury. So I basically took 4 Ibuprofen every 4 hours to help me rest. After 2 days of this the pain sort of moved up to encompass the whole lower third of my back. This new pain felt more like back spasms.....

Two days later I could feel the light at the end of the tunnel. The pain started to subside and turned into a type of back muscle soreness. Tonight I can't feel any pain or discomfort at all.

Any idea on when I should start training again? I appreciate your help.
    Wouldn't worry to much. Had the same thing, probably just some tightened up muscles from bad sleeping position. Deadlifts were about the only thing I could do, brace and hold. Watch out with quick involuntary movements, I banged my shoulder into a doorpost - rotating the upper body- turning the back into one single piece of concrete. Literally went down on one knee for some minutes waiting for the cramps to subside.

Thanks folks. My back has felt good for the past 3 days. Going to the gym tonight and doing my workout 'B'.