starting strength gym

Thread: How to Coach this Wonky Hip Drive

Default How to Coach this Wonky Hip Drive

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Knees seem to be out okay. This is really weird. He says it is because his left leg is weaker, so he's doing this weird shimmy of the hips and it gets progressively worse with fatigue.

I made an assumption that he is extending the left knee early. I'm trying to fix this by making him use a TUBOW on the left side, really focusing on keeping the knees in position during the ascent. Knees seem to stay out just fine.

I assume this and just getting stronger will fix it, but I thought I would get some coaches' opinions to see if this is a very common thing:

I'd have to see from another angle to be sure about all of this, but here is what i see:

1) Stance too wide, perhaps toe angle is insufficient.
    2) It also appears he's trying to squat with a more upright torso than we'd otherwise want, and on the way up his back angle changes quite a bit.
    3) I need to see his knee travel and eye gaze from the side
    4) His back is coming unlocked.

I'd take some weight off the bar, move his stance in an inch each side and have him shove his knees out harder whilst bending over more. Then I'd be sure to limit the load on the bar to something he can do while driving his hips symmetrically. I'd also check him for a leg length discrepancy. I'd also make sure he has voluntary control over his erectors so that he can actually lock his back into position.

Oh excellent. Thanks. Next time I get a chance to work with him, I'll take some video from the side. The "big chest" cue I gave him might not have been the best, but I was cueing that because he was caving and losing thoracic extension before. That might have messed up his back angle some.

I'll be going down your check list. For me, coaching is a bit harder than doing. One of these days I'll get to go to a seminar..

I do the exact same thing, though it isn't as pronounced. It's hard to fix once the movement pattern is ingrained, so definitely get it sorted out now. Uncorrected, it can cause serious lower back pain when the weight gets heavy.

Look for a leg length asymmetry as well.

Well, that's 2 votes for leg asymmetry. I guess I need to get out the hack saw?

A straight on view from the back might be nice, rather than this slightly angled position. I can't tell if it's the slight angle of the video or if the bar is slightly off-center on his scapulae. This would be caused by an asymmetrical grip, shoulder flexibility discrepancy or an arm length discrepancy. Check on that while you're analyzing the squat.

Check his stance. Is one foot further forward or angled out more than the other?

Left knee out hard. Looks like the right is doing its job, but the left is not.

Others already noted the possibility of a leg length issue.

I used to do that. I was just weak and didn't know how to get tight. Once I got stronger the imbalances went away. I injured my SI before that happened though. A belt was helpful for me.

starting strength coach development program
    Just a guess, but he appears to be squatting in socks and his toe angle changes during each rep. I'm sure that isn't helping.