starting strength gym

Thread: A few questions, Coach

Default A few questions, Coach

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I bought SS, great book, and read up on all the lifts and got started lifting. I noticed some things a few weeks in that I was hoping you could answer.

1. When I squat, my lower back rounds right before I hit parallel. Should I just do some stretching for a while to stop this? I hurt my lower back because of this, so im taking a week off and I am kind of nervous to start back up with weights with a rounded back, and was wondering what you would recommend I do to fix this problem.

2. I did get 3 weeks in, but after bumping my lifts up 5 pounds every workout, I couldn't increase the weight for 2 workouts for the bench and the press. (I only have 2.5 lb plates) I don't think I should be stalling so early, so from your experience, do you know what would be causing this?I think I should be still progressing every workout, since my numbers are pretty low. (125 lb 5 RM bench, 75 lb press)

3. If I bought squat shoes, would it be best to only wear them for squats and get another shoe for the other lifts?

Thanks for taking time to answer these questions.

1. This is usually due to your knees not being shoved out of the way at the bottom. The thighs will block your trunk drop at the bottom if you don't shove your knees out. This is sometimes related to hamstring and adductor flexibility, but usually you can just jam your knees out laterally at the bottom and fix it immediately.

2. Jesus Christ Jumping Up And Down On A Fucking Pogo Stick. It is being caused by your failure to get some small plates.

3. How many other lifts are you planning on doing that don't involve your standing on the floor with a bar somewhere on your body? Yes, you may change your shoes when you bench, although it seems odd to regard this as worthy of an answer on this forum.