starting strength gym

Thread: OHP upper chest injury. Kind of

Default OHP upper chest injury. Kind of

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but yesterday I was doing OHPs for upper intensity day on the TM split. On my last warm up set, 115x1, I for some reason let the bar drop a little too fast on the eccentric portion and when I stopped at the bottom, my upper chest area make a cracking sound, similar to the kind that your back or knuckles make. It scared me a bit, but there wasn't any pain or anything so I still did my 135x5 afterwards with no problems. Now today, if I pull my shoulders downward and stretch my neck upwards I can feel a little discomfort in my sternum/clavicle area. There's no discomfort or anything if I actually press on that area with my hand though. Any opinions on what I should do? Also, I'm doing a strict press, stopping at the bottom and not doing the hip thing.

Height 5'4"
    Weight ~ 153 lbs

Thanks.

Sore discomfort or you broke something discomfort? The real question, though, is: Can you still press?

It doesn't feel like I broke anything. And just to clarify I didn't actually hit my chest with the barbell.

I tried pressing with just the barbell today and there's a little bit of discomfort in the bottom position. I don't know exactly how to describe it but it feels like something is pulling downwards on my clavicle. I feel like I'm capable of pressing, but maybe I shouldn't since I don't want to aggravate it further.

See how it feels at your next press workout. Discomfort is OK. Pain is sometimes not.

I had my volume upper workout today. I tried to press, but there's enough pain in the bottom position with just the barbell that I decided against it. Benching was no problem and I also ended with some bodyweight dips since I didn't ohp. I think I'll skip ohp this week and next and see how it feels after that. Or would it be worth a trip to the doctor or something?

starting strength coach development program
    You know you better than I know you. If it were me, and I was worried, I'd get it checked.