starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat check (elbow tendinitis)

Default Squat check (elbow tendinitis)

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Back again. This time I read the rules and took the video from a better angle and recorded my last set. Sorry I screwed that up the first time.

How does my grip/elbow position look? I widened it a bit from when I was experiencing the most severe elbow pain and I’ve already had less issues than before- still some soreness.

December 22, 2023 - YouTube

Far too much knee slide.

Mark, I’ve watched this a couple of times. The bar’s path doesn’t seem to move forward but straight up and down. How can there be too much knee slide when the bar path doesn’t indicate that? Or better asked (maybe), how can the bar path look “straight” when knee slide exists? Shouldn’t the path move way forward or as much as the knee slides?

Obviously, I have no clue what I am looking at.

Obviously. Can you have a vertical bar path on a front squat? If so, then what does knee slide have to do with bar path in a squat? Nothing.

Satch was right, as usual, the bar is too low. Look here: Where to Put the Bar for the Squat with Nick Delgadillo - YouTube

What is that ass sticking out thing you do to start the movement?

Stop that.

Mark, if I remember to post in the networks “post your questions” thread, is this something you could explain a bit more in depth? Your answer isn’t making much sense to me. Unless I’m stupid and my question on this is also stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Obviously. Can you have a vertical bar path on a front squat? If so, then what does knee slide have to do with bar path in a squat? Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Mark, if I remember to post in the networks “post your questions” thread, is this something you could explain a bit more in depth? Your answer isn’t making much sense to me. Unless I’m stupid and my question on this is also stupid.
    In other words, you do not understand how a front squat can have a vertical bar path? What bar path does it have?

You are correct…I don’t understand anything about front squats. I’ve never done them, read about them, etc. (SS has trained me well). I was trying to visualize what you asked me and couldn’t . I’m asking bc I’m curious, not arguing at all. Hope you can tell that.

Do front squats have significant knee slide? And the bar path doesn’t “shift” forward?

I guess I’m not ready for the SSC platform test….

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In other words, you do not understand how a front squat can have a vertical bar path? What bar path does it have?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    You are correct…I don’t understand anything about front squats. I’ve never done them, read about them, etc. (SS has trained me well). I was trying to visualize what you asked me and couldn’t . I’m asking bc I’m curious, not arguing at all. Hope you can tell that.

Do front squats have significant knee slide? And the bar path doesn’t “shift” forward?

I guess I’m not ready for the SSC platform test….
    Neither am I...but good news: understanding this does not require a platform-ready level of instruction.

Assume a bar of significant weight with regard to the lifter's body weight. Assume also that the lifter does not fall down during execution of the lift. For a front squat:

1) To keep the combined center of mass over the base of support, the bar must remain above the center of the foot.
    2) The bar rests on the front of the shoulders, so the torso cannot tilt far forward, or the bar falls.
    3) Therefore, the hips cannot go back the way they do on a low bar back squat.
    4) Vertical movement therefore occurs through what motion of the knees?

Try thinking through it this way first, then look up videos of people doing front squats.

This was the third hit when I searched for "heavy front squat", and the filming angle quite conveniently happens to have a piece of equipment providing a useful vertical line at the front of his toes:

Tian Tao 280kg Front Squat - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast