starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check: My first technique post :)

Default Squat Check: My first technique post :)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    http://youtu.be/zCLJ8XuNctI

I edited the 5x5 sets together into one movie. This was my first attempt at squatting after reading the squat chapter in Rip's SS book. Only thing I didn't incorporate was the "bounce" at the bottom. I need to pick up a gorilla adapter for my iPhone.

So, I'd appreciate any feedback you can give.

Thanks!

I like your head position after the first set, keep your chin tucked down like that.

Push your knees out further as you reach the bottom. A bit harder to do without shoes, but try your best.

You can hold the bar a little lower on your shoulders. Try to place your hands even more on top of the bar, and a little lower on your palm. Make sure you keep both wrists straight. It's hard to say from this angle but it looks like you sometimes forget about your left wrist.

Your back extension is a bit exaggerated on the way down, it's not necessary to be in that much extension. All that you need to do is keep your torso perfectly rigid (using a correct valsalva maneuver) in normal anatomical extension. With your torso held rigid, you should then think about dropping your hips down into the hole between your heels. And again, pushing your knees out here will help reduce your spinal movement at that point.
    Last edited by MikeC1; 07-24-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Thanks for replying!
    I'm still doing static stretches (the palm together technique from the book) and you're right, I'm about 2" still from where I should be at the bottom. I'm also working on lowering the bar, I was wondering about that. Unfortunately I'm at the limit of where my shoulders will allow so hopefully it's OK to keep squatting as-is while I work to improve flexibility. The bar is sitting at the top of my scapula, rather than down a few inches. The lack of flexibility is also causing me wrist issues (this was the first time I squatted without wrapping my thumb under, it felt very weird).

I'm holding my spine based on what Mehdi taught it should feel like (like prone on the floor on your belly, pull your head and feet up off the floor). I'm going to try and go a bit more natural then, as this did feel a bit "forced". I'll need to go re-read what a valsalva maneuver is.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by 91blckgt View Post
    I'm holding my spine based on what Mehdi taught it should feel like (like prone on the floor on your belly, pull your head and feet up off the floor). I'm going to try and go a bit more natural then, as this did feel a bit "forced".
    The point of the "superman" maneuver is to help people have an awareness of their lower back who otherwise don't have a clue. You seem like you can voluntarily contract your lower back, so you have that awareness.

The spine should be held in a neutral position...right now you're overextended, and that can be very dangerous at heavy weights. (Disclosure: I have significant lordosis and have to really fight hard to control my overextension through really hard abdominal squeezing.) Basically, through the valsalva (yes, look it up), you should feel your lower back lock into a neutral extension, and you just need to keep it there for the duration of the squat.