starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YRNPMq4Pjo

This set was max effort (1 week of 531) so I understand it won't be perfect, just want to make sure my form is at least decent.
    Also, I noticed that my hips start to move up at the start of the lift, this has never happened before and I think it was caused by keeping my back as tight as possible. Not sure if this is normal or not.
    Would appreciate any advice

Edit:back was fairly sore this morning, if that helps.
    Last edited by JoshM7; 08-30-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

You've caught what I think is the primary problem with this lift--the hips shoot up early and change all your angles. (The other symptom is that your pulls start by moving closer to the ankle.) This occurs from the first pull onwards, but it's most obviously in the later reps.

I think the problem is that you're lowering your hips in an effort to extend your back, rather than raising the chest. In fact, I see very little effort to raise the chest in your startup. On your next deadlift, once you bend your knees to the bar and spread them out to your elbows (steps 2 and 3 in the 5-step set-up), focus on getting extension solely by raising your chest, and keep your hips where they are. (Have someone check it if you can.) The pull should feel a bit shorter, albeit more uncomfortable at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by mamba12ga1 View Post
    You've caught what I think is the primary problem with this lift--the hips shoot up early and change all your angles. (The other symptom is that your pulls start by moving closer to the ankle.) This occurs from the first pull onwards, but it's most obviously in the later reps.

I think the problem is that you're lowering your hips in an effort to extend your back, rather than raising the chest. In fact, I see very little effort to raise the chest in your startup. On your next deadlift, once you bend your knees to the bar and spread them out to your elbows (steps 2 and 3 in the 5-step set-up), focus on getting extension solely by raising your chest, and keep your hips where they are. (Have someone check it if you can.) The pull should feel a bit shorter, albeit more uncomfortable at the start.
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding the chest up cue correctly, because I'm squeezing it up hard.
    Here's a set of 135 that I Videod after watching the video of my worksets yesterday.
    These felt perfect, so I'm not sure if I just need to stop being a pussy and hold my chest up on heavier(relatively) weights, or if this set is wrong too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEF5r4F1wps

It's still visible that your hips shoot early, and it could be setup problem. You may wish to try the following trick to assume correct initial position.

To setup, get to the BB as usual, but stand vertical, tall and chest up. Flex your lats to keep shoulders down as well. Now, barely unlock your knees and then bend at hips (do hip hinge, as if you try to touch a wall far behind you with your butt). Go as low as you can without loosing your lumbar and upper-spine tension and curves (do not bend knees further yet). You should feel great tension in hamstrings, all the back of the spine and lats. Now sit down (bend your knees) only enough for your hands to reach and grip the bar. Do not allow any tention to go. You are ready to start the pull. Do not jerk, just start to apply force to the ground with your legs relatively slow instead.

Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by JoshM7 View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding the chest up cue correctly, because I'm squeezing it up hard.
    Here's a set of 135 that I Videod after watching the video of my worksets yesterday.
    These felt perfect, so I'm not sure if I just need to stop being a pussy and hold my chest up on heavier(relatively) weights, or if this set is wrong too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEF5r4F1wps
    I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier--your set-up is out of order.

Try this and see if it helps:
    (1) Approach the bar, shins about an inch away, feet about a foot apart, toes rotated out. (Can't see your feet too well, but you seem to do this fine)
    (2) With legs straight, bend over and grab the bar with arms roughly parallel
    (3) Bend knees straight to the bar, then push them out until they are just at your arms
    (4) Pull chest up and extend lower back without moving hips down (might help to have a friend watch you to ensure you don't drop your hips)
    (5) Stand up

In the first video, you do steps 2 and 3 at about the same time. In the second video, you do step 3 first. Try going through that mental checklist next time and see if it helps.

Ok thanks yall.
    Out of curiousity, would yall say this is a serious problem, like drop a ton of weight and just work on form, or is it the kind of problem that if I keep focus and work at it then I can keep adding weight(slowly, doing 531) and keep improving form

Quote Originally Posted by mamba12ga1 View Post
    I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier--your set-up is out of order.

Try this and see if it helps:
    (1) Approach the bar, shins about an inch away, feet about a foot apart, toes rotated out. (Can't see your feet too well, but you seem to do this fine)
    (2) With legs straight, bend over and grab the bar with arms roughly parallel
    (3) Bend knees straight to the bar, then push them out until they are just at your arms
    (4) Pull chest up and extend lower back without moving hips down (might help to have a friend watch you to ensure you don't drop your hips)
    (5) Stand up

t the first video, you do steps 2 and 3 at about the same time. In the second video, you do step 3 first. Try going through that mental checklist next time and see if it helps.
    that might just be the one lil thing that I haven't been doing right!
    I had been doing feet how you said, knees tracking feet, and arms as close to knees as I could.
    Damn I can't wait till next Wednesday now, even if it is deload week!
    I think my arms being too close together was making the range of motion too short for squeezing chest up.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshM7 View Post
    Ok thanks yall.
    Out of curiousity, would yall say this is a serious problem, like drop a ton of weight and just work on form, or is it the kind of problem that if I keep focus and work at it then I can keep adding weight(slowly, doing 531) and keep improving form
    No, it is not an issue of weight, it is an issue of you following none of the steps to get set up properly. Drill the steps stated in post 5 and the pull will feel easier.

Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    No, it is not an issue of weight, it is an issue of you following none of the steps to get set up properly. Drill the steps stated in post 5 and the pull will feel easier.
    Agreed--no need to do a deload.

starting strength coach development program
    Here's a video of my set today (deload week 531)
    I really focused on the steps and forcing my chest up, but it felt awkward.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Glfp5Pl-I&feature=plcp
    Last edited by JoshM7; 09-04-2012 at 07:21 AM.