starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check (to avoid re-injury)

Default Form Check (to avoid re-injury)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Starting out really light 6 months after a disk herniation. Still have daily pain in lower back, but DL's feel great. Would appreciate any advice.

I think my knees are going too far forward, butt not back enough, and lack of hip drive. Any advice on fixing that?

Thanks.

http://youtu.be/_MlUKEaDjeM

I normally lift at a gym, but couldn't record there, so I'm at home cleaning the weight.
    Last edited by macorn63; 08-30-2012 at 12:23 PM.

It's tough to say a lot about your squats since you are cleaning the bar. It may not be very representative of how you actually squat. However, your stance is pretty wide and you are going too fast. Depth is questionable on most of the reps and it looks like you are carrying the bar too high. The knees coming forward at the bottom can be solved by staying leaned over a little more. I'd be interested in seeing what things look like when you squat out of a rack.

Your deads look better. Try narrowing your stance. Drag the bar up your legs the whole way. Right now, you lose contact with the bar, extend your knees too early, and turn it into a little more of a stiff legged deadlift. Drag the bar up the legs (wear long socks) and use your quads to help you move the bar.

Good work on coming back from your injury. Many lack the will to do so.

Squat: Full ROM means full ROM both ways. Stand up entirely every rep, stay still to get another breath in, then squat. Do not fall, squat. It should be controlled, relatively slow motion. You won't get any scores for being quick.

DL: as TomC already said, you entirely extend your knees too early on the way up, and I'd add that you unlock them too late on the way down. From the floor to the knees, knees must extend, but then they must stay slightly bent to the very top, when you should finally fully extend both your knees and hips. On the way down, unlock both hips and knees simultaneously as well.

Thanks for the advice.

You are right about cleaning the weight .... once it's on my back, I can't quite set up the same as I would out of a rack. As for depth, I just feel like my back rounds if I go lower, and I am paranoid about re-injury.

I'm thinking, lowering the bar a little, and leaning over a tad should allow me to sit back more, use more hip drive, and keep my knees back right?

I used to tear the hell out of my shins even w/ socks on, so I think I'm now overcompensating. I'll work on raising my chest and legs at the same rate.

Thanks again.

For deadlifts, cut out some shin guards from a 1.5 liter plastic bottle of water. Put them inside your socks. No knurling will get though that.