starting strength gym

Thread: pullups

Question pullups

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have a quick question, I am trying to get my pullups up for a PFT so I am doing the recon ron pullup program and doing pullups every day, can I substitute the pullups exercise in starting strength with something else like dips since I'm doing pullups every day anyway?

you can do whatever you want...this isn't north korea. On the other hand, if you are already doing pullups every day you might be wise to just do the two barbell lifts before the pullups and walk out without killing yourself, at least until after the PFt

Quote Originally Posted by rizon View Post
    I have a quick question, I am trying to get my pullups up for a PFT so I am doing the recon ron pullup program and doing pullups every day, can I substitute the pullups exercise in starting strength with something else like dips since I'm doing pullups every day anyway?
    I would say either substitute another exercise, or just do pull-ups during your work out and don't do the 5 sets you're supposed to do for the recon ron program. Or you could just do the recon ron portion as part of your SS workout. Whatever works best for you, but doing both will probably not help you. Good luck. (Isn't PFT season over already?)

thanks, and yea it is, but im gettin ready for next year, i wanna get 20 next time

Quote Originally Posted by rizon View Post
    thanks, and yea it is, but im gettin ready for next year, i wanna get 20 next time
    Ah. Then I think you have plenty of time to fuck around with it and see what works. I'd test a max every 1-2 months as a way of keeping track.

Personally I would probably just drop the pull ups from SS all together (or if you can, run the pull ups from the program then, not sure if this is feasible as I looked at the program quite a while ago).

You have a lot of volume with the pull ups already, adding in a bunch more volume likely won't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    Personally I would probably just drop the pull ups from SS all together (or if you can, run the pull ups from the program then, not sure if this is feasible as I looked at the program quite a while ago).

You have a lot of volume with the pull ups already, adding in a bunch more volume likely won't help.
    I'm keeping the regular chin/pullup programming as well. I figure I don't want to lose the specific adaptations for high rep sets since GtG ones tend to be briefer. At least initially.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    I'm keeping the regular chin/pullup programming as well. I figure I don't want to lose the specific adaptations for high rep sets since GtG ones tend to be briefer. At least initially.
    Wait, are you and OP the same person?

Anyway, do what you want, I just worry it may effect recovery.