starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench form check

Default Bench form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    For some reason I'm really struggling with the bench press, while the deadlift and squat go up nicely. Press is increasing very slowly, but at least it is. With the bench press it almost seems like there is a (embarrassingly low) weight number I can't get past, even after a resetting.

Can you guys check my form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySAgcrv_M8k

Sorry for the bad angle... it might make it seem like I'm not touching my chest, but I am.

Thanks

Is it just me or does that bench seem very low to the ground? Also, I can't tell from the angle, are you [really] touching your chest with the bar?

Edit: What Spar said.
    Last edited by bob g; 05-16-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: I stopped reading when I hit the link. D'oh.

Also, your bench may not be going up because, um, you're not putting weight on the bar.

Unless that's a warmup set?

If that's a work set, then you need to add weight.

I've taken a vid from this angle, it also seemed like the bar was a mile away from my chest for whatever reason

Anyways, don't post warm up sets

It's not a warm up set. It's the first set of the three work sets. I'm doing GSLP. In the last set of that workout I got 7 reps.

I also do add weight to the bar. Every single workout. So weight goes up, but reps in the last set go down. If I look at the calculated 1RM, it pretty much stays the same. While for all other lift it goes up a lot.

I did touch my chest with the bar every single rep. It's really just the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by mkkn View Post
    It's not a warm up set. It's the first set of the three work sets. I'm doing GSLP. In the last set of that workout I got 7 reps.
    First of all, you probably should specify when you're doing something other than the SS:BBT novice program.

Secondly, perhaps GSLP may not be working for your bench. And/or you need to eat more/pay more attention to recovery.

Sorry about not mentioning that I do GSLP. I wouldn't think it's a lack of food/not enough recovery, since all other lifts go up, no?

In terms of form though, are there any obvious mistakes you see? Could my inability to progress on the bench be due to a technical issue?

If the weight is going up and you haven't stalled, I fail to see what the problem is. Who gives a fuck if you get 5, 6, or 7 reps on the last set on any given day? As long as you can get your prescribed reps and add some weight, it doesn't matter.

..what are your lifts, weight, and how have these two things changed over the last 3 weeks? I'm thinking you just expect your bench to go up 10-20 lb jumps like your deadlift

btw it's pretty hard to screw up the bench form, you just learn little tweaks here and there and eventually it gets solid. the bar simply looks 10-20lbs too light.

Skipbeat, the problem is that I keep stalling. Yes, I can add weight, but then eventually I stall and can't get more than 4 reps.

Don't expect crazy gains. My 5RM are:

BP: 67 kg
    Squat: 120 kg
    DL: 135 kg
    Press: 49 kg
    Body weight: 84 kg

In the past 4 or 5 weeks, I've added about 2 - 3 kg per week to my squat and deadlift 5RM. About 1 kg per week on the press 5RM. Bench press didn't really improve much. Maybe 1 or 1.5 kg total in the past 5 weeks.

starting strength coach development program
    No comments on my form?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast