starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check? 390x5

Default Squat form check? 390x5

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'd appreciate some feedback on the following intensity squat set (PR, 390lbs x 5, possibly annoyingly loud music):

I also think I have some left/right imbalances, (eg this recent 285lbs recovery set) broken down in this image. My right leg is one that I had ACL reconstruction/meniscectomy 21 months ago. Any tips for ironing these out?
    Last edited by Aidan; 06-21-2012 at 03:04 PM.

On the 390#. i believe you're somewhat shallow all through. You're also letting the weight come forward at the very bottom. It looks to me like at the bottom your hips stop going down but the shoulders still go down (and thus forward) and they also bring the knees with them a little.

About the 285 set... stance looks a bit wide, but i'm not really seeing the asymmetry you're speaking of.

Also in both (but especially in the 285 set) you move your mid back a fair amount. Meaning you establish your extension after you start the rep and then loosen it before you lock out. Some people seem to do that more than others. Don't know how serious a fault it is considered... i'm guessing not too much since i don't see it called out often.

The 2nd set at 390... pretty much the same thing as the first but it's just really slow. Isn't it hard to do it that way ?

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    The 2nd set at 390... pretty much the same thing as the first but it's just really slow. Isn't it hard to do it that way ?
    The 2nd set IS the first set ... slowed down.

OP. I'd say knees out more would help with fixing depth and the forward knee "squish." Stance might be a little wide.

Haha, sorry I didnt make that clear in the OP. Flibble has it right, I just half speeded the clip and tacked it on the end, I find it sometimes helps me pick up errors.

Thanks for the tips folks, I'll try to incorporate them in my evening workout today.

Two things:

1) You're over-exaggerating lumbar/spinal extension at the beginning, and this is causing you to break at the hips first. This along with what is probably insufficient knees-out is causing the knees to travel forward at the bottom.

2) If you want feedback about leg asymmetry, we'll probably need video from the rear that will show it.

Other than that, you have some bar path issues and related problems keeping the chest up, but working on #1 might help fix those.

Thanks, Spar! I'll work on that.

This video was linked in the OP, and is taken from the rear for analysis of asymmetry

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    The 2nd set IS the first set ... slowed down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    Haha, sorry I didnt make that clear in the OP. Flibble has it right, I just half speeded the clip and tacked it on the end, I find it sometimes helps me pick up errors.
    it was a joke, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    Thanks, Spar! I'll work on that.

This video was linked in the OP, and is taken from the rear for analysis of asymmetry
    The asymmetry is slight. My right leg is all fucked up, so I have this problem as well. Just keep videotaping yourself and making sure you constantly reinforce symmetrical form. Or, even better, get a training partner to watch you and cue you if you start getting lazy with the bad leg.

I would not let that degree of asymmetry stop me from putting weight on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    it was a joke, people.
    well, you got me! hard to tell sometimes when you are new to a community

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    The asymmetry is slight. My right leg is all fucked up, so I have this problem as well. Just keep videotaping yourself and making sure you constantly reinforce symmetrical form. Or, even better, get a training partner to watch you and cue you if you start getting lazy with the bad leg.

I would not let that degree of asymmetry stop me from putting weight on the bar.
    I appreciate the input, thanks again!