starting strength gym

Thread: nutrition for older guys

Default nutrition for older guys

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Sould there be any difference for SS nutrition for older guys (40 and up) versus younger guys. More to the point, should I consume the same amount of milk?

I will have to say that SS and Crossfit have been the best programs that I have ever used. I have four compressed discs in my lower back that hurts every day but feels much better after my SS workouts. My orthopedic surgeaon encourages lifting heavy as a matter of keeping strong. Just wanted to say thanks Rip.

Unless you are in a weight-gain situation, no, don't drink all that milk. Just eat enough to train and get recovered and things will progress just fine. The milk deal works best for the young and the underweight, and it will just make older guys of normal weight fat.

Let me piggy back on this thread. I'm 33 and 5'7 170, so I wouldn't say I 'need' to gain weight. I don't care about mass, I just want to get as strong as possible as quickly as possible.

So I'm on my second week of SS and I've been drinking a gallon a day of whole milk, as a matter of fact I think I'm closer to 173 now. Should I continue the milk, or will I get the same strength results with out it?
    Thanks,

I think you should stay with the proven method until you have a reason to change it. Fat is easier to lose than muscle is to gain.

What do you think about whey protein shakes?

I'm a fat piece of sh!t and can't lose weight, and still I feel like eating 250 grams of protein per day (1 gm per pound bodyweight) is difficult.

Now if coffee consumption counted toward my nutritional goals I'd be fit as a fiddle...

starting strength coach development program
    You may be a fat piece of shit, but it is wrong to say that you can't lose weight. It would be more correct to say that you have yet to decide that you are going to do what's necessary to lose weight. I think whey protein shakes are useful but not absolutely necessary.