starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Clean form check - the lankyness is great.

Default Power Clean form check - the lankyness is great.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

Been awhile since I asked for some coaching. But I feel if my power clean will ever be anything else than a power curl started at the floor, I might as well suck it up.

80 kg from today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jq-...nlHFrZHdMXSSjw

Beyond this my form qucikly deteriorates. I've done 226lbs for 6x3 in 12 minutes, so strength is more or less there. I just start to catch the weight with stiff legs all the time.

I've begun widening my grip and stance compared to deadlifts, which I feel helps. I may be wrong...

Derf... Tallness. You haz it.

I think you may be slightly too far in front of the bar. You are bending your arms a little early and it looks like you did not touch your thigh.

Make sure you are set up properly and not on your toes. Pull the bar more slowly from the ground. It will accelerate above the knee, but it does not need to leap off the floor at max speeds. Drag it all the way up the legs and WHEN you touch the mid thigh, jump.

Thanks Tom, appreciate you taking the time.

The tallness thing hasn't really changed since I started SS 2.5 years ago. Should I just go really heavy on squats, or will you do some ankle removal coaching come Copenhagen seminar time in the new year...?

In all seriousness, I do look a little out in front in the setup, will try to correct a bit.

I'm pretty sure, I'm on my mid foot before I pull. I try to hit the point where I can't really feel I'm standing on my heels or my toes. I think you used that expression last year.

I agree on the arm pull, I definitely do that. Will shoot a video next time I power clean, doing my best to incorporate what you said.

I forgot,

Seeing as the bearded one has me on quite the volume with deadlifts and squats. Would it be a cardinal sin to raise the weight just a bit from the floor for power cleans? I get the not doing the movement as intended. However, in deadlifts I use the weight to pull myself into position. I'm totally unable to do this on power cleans due to the low weight, and of course my shoes make me even higher vs. the socks deadlift situation.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 11-25-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf123 View Post
    The tallness thing hasn't really changed since I started SS 2.5 years ago.
    YNDTP

Should I just go really heavy on squats, or will you do some ankle removal coaching come Copenhagen seminar time in the new year...?
    My secret techniques for femoral shortening will be the talk of Copenhagen come 2015.

Seeing as the bearded one has me on quite the volume with deadlifts and squats. Would it be a cardinal sin to raise the weight just a bit from the floor for power cleans? I get the not doing the movement as intended. However, in deadlifts I use the weight to pull myself into position. I'm totally unable to do this on power cleans due to the low weight, and of course my shoes make me even higher vs. the socks deadlift situation.
    Your first mistake is listening to the bearded one. He is not to be trusted. A comb over and a beard? Sketchy. That's what that is. Now that is out of the way...

You could certainly work cleans from the hang, but despite your tallness, you should be able to get your back flat regardless of the weight. You almost do it right before the pull prior to flexing a little again. I am neutral on the this point. If you want to clean from the hang or from blocks to give your back a break from the squatting and pulling, do what you need to do.

Thanks Tom,

I'll get a new vid done.

2 vids done.

I think my arm pull is less on these. Bar still seems too far away. I mess up the rack in the second vid, please disregard.

http://youtu.be/Y5yw_PXLaN0

http://youtu.be/PqLdJydVnZ0

You were too far in front of the bar on the first one and you didn't really jump on the second clean. Make sure you are in the middle of your foot to start. Keep the bar closer. Drag it up your legs.

Tom,

Any chance I could get your thoughts on his catch/rack in regards to his anthopometry? I can only assume that as the weight get heavier it is going to cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntschli View Post
    Tom,

Any chance I could get your thoughts on his catch/rack in regards to his anthopometry? I can only assume that as the weight get heavier it is going to cause problems.
    He doesn't rack superbly, although the first video is better than the second. I want to fix his pull off the floor and bar path issues first, however.

starting strength coach development program
    "His anthopometry..." Guys, I'm standing right here.

Will do, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast