starting strength gym

Thread: Rhomboid Pain

Default Rhomboid Pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    For my last two workouts I have had some pain in my right rhomboid. At least that is where I think the pain is from my ex phys and anatomy classes a couple of decades ago. it seems like I would have hurt it doing pull ups or perhaps squats. Not totally sure which lift caused he pain but it really hurt after squats in last session. When I went to oh press I had to start with the bar higher. I couldn't "set" the scapula if that is an accurate description. But if I placed the bar about throat high before unrackimg I was ok.

Does this sound like rhomboid? If so, what now. If not, what? Oh - also in the searching I did I found a weird video where some massage lady said often times rhomboid pain is confused with a slightly displaced rib??? Haha. Hate to throw that out there. But just searching

Quote Originally Posted by Dkrad1935 View Post
    For my last two workouts I have had some pain in my right rhomboid. At least that is where I think the pain is from my ex phys and anatomy classes a couple of decades ago. it seems like I would have hurt it doing pull ups or perhaps squats. Not totally sure which lift caused he pain but it really hurt after squats in last session. When I went to oh press I had to start with the bar higher. I couldn't "set" the scapula if that is an accurate description. But if I placed the bar about throat high before unrackimg I was ok.

Does this sound like rhomboid? If so, what now. If not, what? Oh - also in the searching I did I found a weird video where some massage lady said often times rhomboid pain is confused with a slightly displaced rib??? Haha. Hate to throw that out there. But just searching
    I've had pain in my right rhomboid area and can extend into the trap/neck. Never been able to get it resolved, had it from before I started lifting. I can't really do OHP anymore because I will pull this area and then be in agony for days. I've tried stretching, massages, tennis ball, none of it has helped more than temporarily.

Does it hurt when you bench press or squat?? I have been trying to isolate a movement that causes the pain to spike. I'm not totally sure its the rhomboid at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkrad1935 View Post
    Does it hurt when you bench press or squat?? I have been trying to isolate a movement that causes the pain to spike. I'm not totally sure its the rhomboid at all.
    No, it doesn't. I think maybe once when it was already flared up I pinched a nerve when squatting, and once made it worse after a heavy DL, but both were only one time events.

Well my shoulder got better. Then I decided to do some dips before I left the gym Friday. The dips brought back the exact same pain. So at least I know what caused it. Will see if it gets stronger quicker this time although I admit I am not totally sure what the injury is still