starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing Squats on the Carpet Ok?

Default Doing Squats on the Carpet Ok?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have a power rack in a room with carpets. It's it okay to squat over carpets or should I use rubber mats or something else to cover the floors?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by demasoni View Post
    I have a power rack in a room with carpets. It's it okay to squat over carpets or should I use rubber mats or something else to cover the floors?

Thanks.
    What sort of carpet? Very important.

If there is a pad under the carpet, I wouldn't think its a good idea. I wouldn't want anything squishy (technical term, look it up) under my feet with anything very heavy on my back, might be ok, but seems wrong?

just put down a peice of ply wood and you'll be good

It's regular carpets used in the house. I think there is padding underneath.

I have no stability issues at all squatting on the carpet in my house, which i would consider to be normal thickness. I do use weightlifting shoes though, so that helps a lot.

It won't be ideal. Using some plywood like an above poster mentioned would probably be your best bet.

The more solid and non-slip the surface, the better off you are for squatting. This is the same reason you want shoes with a solid sole and non-slippery bottoms - safety and maximum power transfer.

For the guys here who have seen my vids, you'll know i workout at home in my bedroom which is carpeted. I do all my lifts (exception of bench), with a wooden board underneath me. Now that i've just gone back to uni, i have access to the uni gym again, and i have no idea whether their weights/bars are lighter, i'm just getting stronger, the floor is flat and solid, or a combination of these, but i find i can lift heavier weights a lot more solidly and easily as opposed to at home. But as everyone has said, the more flat and solid you can get the surface, the better it is to lift on.

starting strength coach development program
    I have indoor/outdoor carpet in my back patio (where I work out) and it is very solid. It is laid right on top of concrete with no pad. One thing I have noticed is that I am starting to wear the carpet where I stand during squats. Might be about time to pick up another stall mat or to to stand on during squats.

I would definitely suggest some plywood to stand on if for nothing more than to protect the carpet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast