starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More complicated programming after Texas

Default More complicated programming after Texas

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach,
    from your Tnation article:

"The Texas Method doesn't work forever — nothing does. But it does work well as your introduction to more complicated programming necessary to continue strength and size gains into the more advanced stages of strength training".

So, I'm doing really fine with Texas right now and I'm really happy about it but I'd like to have some advice on what kind of different programming I could plan after this.
    I've read the book and I wanted to try the advanced pyramid system you outlined, I'm not a competitive powerlifter and maybe this is not for me? I could even try to build my own program with the experience I have but I tell you, since I discovered SS and PPS (1-2) I made my best progress ever at the age of 44 so I'd rather follow your advices, again.

Thanks a lot, as usual.

At some point you'll have to decide on a direction for your training, which will determine your programming. You can't stay a noob forever. Perhaps you should take Matt's advice: http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_reynolds.pdf

Thanks Mark,
    beautiful article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    At some point you'll have to decide on a direction for your training, which will determine your programming. You can't stay a noob forever. Perhaps you should take Matt's advice: http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_reynolds.pdf

Rip, after Texas Method I want to do more of a olympic based routine.

Right now I am only doing o-lifts on recovery days.

I think I will come off TM once I can squat 405X5/185kgx5.

What should i do then? None of your books refer to o-lifting routines. Can you point me in the right direction?

Or should I just follow conventional internet forum advise, which normally means doing bulgarian style training, or 1970's soviet 128 week periodised routine, and giving up deadlifting and LB back squatting?

Or will you have a o-lifting book out by the time I reach 405X5/185kgx5??? (right now i am at 363lbs/165kgX5)

R P McMurphy

PS This christmas, as a present to us o-lifters, could you make another installment of the 'Platform' series, teaching us how convert our power cleaning/snatching technique into full snatching/cleaning i.e. the drop under?

If you give up deadlifting and squatting without taking steroids, your strength levels will fall. That will not be helpful. In fact, a 405x5 squat for a competitive lifter in the 77 and up weight classes is not terribly impressive. Figure out a way to keep your strength training emphasis within your weightlifting and you'll be one of the few that train the 2 lifts effectively.

Yeah, i figured that out (the hard way unfortunately). I am aware that conventional oly forum advise is lame. And your methods have worked the best for me. so i am pretty open to your advise.
    I am pretty sure i need to back squat and deadlift. I just need a way that it will not effect my 2 lifts as much.

I was thinking maybe:

Monday
    snatch volume, c&j pr, front squat.

Wedesday
    Snatch pr, c&j volume.

friday
    Back squat
    rackpull/haltings
    press

A bit crude maybe, but I think performing strength lifts once a week might work.

I was thinking maybe 5/3/1 on the squat and press, which can be done on a once a week basis. (haltings and RP being done as you conventionally advocate).
    I am told 5/3/1 is good for more advanced guys.

I want to be able to snatch 120kg and clean and jerk 140kg (this is national standard for 94kg lifter). I reckon i would need to squat 185kgx5, and rack pull 240kg, and perform 205kgx8 haltings.

All of this is theory right now, since i have a while to go on TM.

Crude, simple, and effective beats complex and ineffective every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Randle McMurphy View Post
    None of your books refer to o-lifting routines.
    Doesn't the "Two Steps Forward, One Step Back Model" fit the bill? Practical Programming 2nd ed. page 143. The first sentence of the section makes it seem like it might.

Sir,

a humble suggestion... based on MAJ Well's article on doing focused training (vice trying to combine everything into one super program) would it not hold some merit to consider doing cycles of training with shifting focus? Meaning, in MAJ Well's article, he talks about a focused strength program, then 2 weeks of intensive cardio, wash, rinse, repeat.

Well, applying that to o-lifts, could a person finish up SS, then exhaust TM for a while, and then, say, complete 1 or 2 cycles of something like Dan John's 21 program http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...ohn%27s_Big_21 and then cycle back to the strength focus of TM or some other method?

Seems like that would give focus and structure (and hopefully a smooth linear progression) to o-lift development, while allowing that an individual would want to cycle back to strength (squats, deadlifts, etc) to ensure minimal loss of those capabilities?

Thank you for any insight you may provide, and for the consideration.

v/r,
    Dave

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In fact, a 405x5 squat for a competitive lifter in the 77 and up weight classes is not terribly impressive.
    Man, I feel like a bitch now.

OP, I get tested in the Olympic lifts at the Olympic Training Center at Lake Placid, and although I am by no means a competitive lifter, just straight powerlifting increased my O-lifts faster than doing a O-lifting program. I was given the idea by Juli at WFAC to begin my Monday and Wednesday workouts with 10 heavy singles (about 90% 1RM) of clean and jerk (Monday) and Snatch (Wednesday). I gave myself about 90-120 seconds rest in between reps, and it didn't wear me out when I did my squats. I used the warm up to work on technique and my O-lifts went up a lot without sacrificing my performance on the SS program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast