starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caffeine Pills

Default Caffeine Pills

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip, just a quick question...I searched around a little and found some info, but none from you directly.

What are your thoughts on caffeine pills? Obviously, most conventional doctors oppose them, but I don't see what harm would be caused by taking 200 mg of caffeine pre-workout, especially considering most of the doctors are probably coffee drinkers themselves. Just wanted a quick opinion, thanks in advance.

They are quite useful if you're a smart person. Stupid people find it too easy to become immoderate with pills than with liquid coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Domjo54 View Post
    I don't see what harm would be caused by taking 200 mg of caffeine pre-workout
    Heretic! Dastard! Barbarian! I suppose you regard medical alcohol diluted with water a sutable before-dinner apertif as well.

I take 200-400mg pre-workout depending on how sluggish I'm feeling. Works better than any of those stupid pre-workout supps on the market, if you ask me.

Mulgere,

Depends on what you are after. As my training partner says "I don't like alcohol, but I like where it takes me".

200mg of caffeine is VERY unlikely to cause you harm prior to a workout.
    a good cup of coffee might have more caffeine, and tastes better than a pill. but whatever floats your boat.

It would take a very large cup of shitty cheap coffee (robusta coffee produces more caffeine than arabica) to equal 200 mg. But you are correct about tolerance for caffeine: most people that use it regularly could take 3x that amount without serious side-effects.

Most sources seem to suggest that a typical cup of coffee contains about 100mg of caffeine, but that usually assumes an 8oz cup. Apparently a 16oz cup at Starbucks (ostensibly their 'medium' size) was found to contain 220-330mg. Admittedly, Starbucks mostly serves pretty shitty coffee, but I'm pretty sure it's 100% arabica shitty coffee.

(Chart here: http://www.cspinet.org/new/cafchart.htm)

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    I take 200-400mg pre-workout depending on how sluggish I'm feeling. Works better than any of those stupid pre-workout supps on the market, if you ask me.
    Damn. From what I've read, usually 300+ mg of caffeine leads to caffeine intoxication. You must be pretty accustomed. A few years ago I was studying for my theory of knoowledge exam and I downed 320 mg (or two large energy drinks) within an hour. I was tripping out.

But I usually consume around 240 mg per workday. I don't think 200 mg is a problem if you've consumed caffeine in moderation throughout the day. Although I'd be interested to hear how much you take on a regular basis.

starting strength coach development program
    i drink one large pot of burnt shitty coffee every day. there are no ill effects. i seem to be alive and progressing on my lifts.
    i wouldnt over-analyze the caffeine thing. it is pointless, and there are more important things that will affect your training.

conventional docs have issues with almost everything, whether it be food, sleep, coffee, sex, booze or whatever, and usually this is due to fear of a theoretical lawsuit from giving a green light to anything that might be theoretically harmful and then taken out of context and used in court by a fuckface attorney with a whiny plaintiff bitching for a free buck. dont worry about "conventional" docs opinions on most things. trust me, it is probably worthless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast