starting strength gym

Thread: How do YOU stay motivated Mark?

Default How do YOU stay motivated Mark?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just wondering.

I've been training my ass off for a little over 2 years now. I've been on and off for 6 years before that, but the on/off crap doesn't count.

So I can honestly say that I've been actually training for 2 years now (not 8).

I sometimes feel my motivation slipping though. I tell myself not to be a pussy, and I just man up and hit the gym anyway. I've only skipped workouts in these past 2 years when I TRULY could not make it (except this last friday, where I had the opportunity to have sex with this chick, so I skipped for her, but that was the ONLY time).

Anyway, I'm trying to keep that same motivation that I've had for these past 2 years, and stick with it for the rest of my life.

Is there any motivating yourself techniques you have other then telling yourself to stop being a pussy and just do it?

I train out of habit now, because I feel like shit if I don't. When I was in your situation -- the 2-years-into-training one, not the getting-laid one, which I never had to miss training to do -- I was competing. Competition motivates training better than vanity or a desire for fitness. Enter a meet. That's how I did it.

This is a good question. I've been training for nearly 7 months and only missed my training for family/health reasons. Usually I feel very motivated, but there are times when I have shitty sessions and then it gets hard. My motivation is to get stronger, even if it is 1 lb at a time...

Default I'll Second That

Rip took the words right out of my mouth- give yourself a reason? above and beyond aesthetics? to be training. In fact, this is what differentiates an exerciser from an athlete. The word "training" implies a purpose for that training. So get out there and put yourself on the line, and I think? actually, I know? you'll be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I train out of habit now, because I feel like shit if I don't. When I was in your situation -- the 2-years-into-training one, not the getting-laid one, which I never had to miss training to do -- I was competing. Competition motivates training better than vanity or a desire for fitness. Enter a meet. That's how I did it.

You know, I think that I would enjoy competing, but I didn't think I was strong enough yet to actually consider competing.

So far my 5RM's are

squat - 265 lbs.
    deadlift - 365
    bench - 220
    OH press - 140
    power clean - 150.

These are all just average lifts for your typical gym rat (that actually does squats and deadlifts that is), not competitive lifts.

Can anyone compete?

A good training partner or partners helps too. I still haven't found a good one. My old training partner from college got married to a girl with two kids, quit working out and ballooned up to 340 lbs. I suspect I could find a good one in Wichita Falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Competition motivates training better than vanity or a desire for fitness. Enter a meet. That's how I did it.
    As they say, men will kill for points. Runner run more when training for a marathon. Lifters train harder when preparing for a meet.

Well, I've been looking into competing, even though I didn't think my lifts were 'competition worthy'. I found out all about it. All I have to do is just sign up, and go compete.

I'm actually really excited about doing this, as I do think it will motivate me more, and in turn, I will get even stronger.

Thanks for this suggestion. I will either be going to my first meet on OCT 18, or NOV 2nd.

starting strength coach development program
    Not strong enough to compete? Maybe, but you're certinaly strong enough to start training for a competition. If you wanted to play rugby (an excellent sport by the way) the best way to get good is to go to practice and learn how to pass, the rules and get conditioning. You don't get good at rugby by "getting ready for it" on your own. THe best way to get good at power lifting is find a team or a coach and train with them. Some are more selective than others, but you can find one that will help you out.

Admit you're going to suck, but resolve to learn the skill and get good and get fit (how ever your sports defines it) so you don't suck anymore.

At my first weightlifting meet, my total was 184 at 102 bw. Yeah, thats pretty bad. But I've since added about 10 kilos to that. If I thought I wasn't strong enough to compete and waited till I was, my total would be much lower than it is now.

Start. Today.