starting strength gym

Thread: Hip flexors problem

Default Hip flexors problem

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,

I know you've answered this before, but I don't think I have the same problem. Seems like I have pain around the origin of the Sartorius muscle and the TFL (only on the right side). But, I am pretty sure my knees don't slide forward at the bottom of the squat. I've checked this a few times (and you watched my video).
    I don't even think it's from back squatting, because I felt it after the workout where I learned to do full cleans and went for a maximal attempt (stupid, I know).

Do you think this could happen from a bad catching position and a bad front squat as a result? It kind of appeared at once and didn't develop slowly.

So far it didn't stop me from back squatting, but it's quite painful. I just trained with the pain till now.

Should I just train through, or it will get worse with time?

Thanks for your time.

If the pain is at all lateral, it may be a ITB problem. This is easy to rule out, and I'd do this anyway. If that doesn't fix it and it's been there a while, I'd let the massage therapist tell you what structures are involved. If you can find a good one.

The pain is not at all lateral. I feel pain only around the origin, which is not where ITB problems usually are (correct me if I'm wrong).

I've found today that squatting with a narrower stance was almost painless. Maybe that's what I should do until it goes away.

Unfortunately, finding a good massage therapist is a huge problem for me.

Closing the stance relieves the pain = adductor problem. The iliacus originates in the position you describe, so that may be it. I think you already figured out what to do. Gradually widen your stance back out over the next 4 weeks and see if it heals as you gradually make it resume normal duties.