starting strength gym

Thread: Ilium/Iliac crest injury.

Default Ilium/Iliac crest injury.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    hey mark, i was wondering if you have any insight into an injury i've had for several months now.

i think i first suffered the injury deadlifting, and then further aggravated it playing basketball and jumping/landing.

Symptom:

when i bend at the hip like the man is doing in the picture (using my right leg as an anchor and lifting my left foot up a little bit) and bend at the waist at a 45-degree angle from straight ahead, i will feel a sharp pain in my right iliac crest area.

i've seen a chiro/ART practitioner about this, and i discovered i had Extremely tight erectors, and doing soft tissue work on them has helped a lot but hasn't gotten rid of it completely.

any thoughts? thanks a lot.

Since you've seen a therapist about this, and all I can seen is a picture of a foolish older man in an awkward position, maybe his opinion would be better than mine. What was the diagnosis?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Since you've seen a therapist about this, and all I can seen is a picture of a foolish older man in an awkward position, maybe his opinion would be better than mine. What was the diagnosis?
    it sucks, but the chiro doesn't seem to know either. i think i've visited her five times and nothing she does to me on the table has helped. she's done a lot of adjustments and ART on me, but i've discovered the only thing that actually helps is her observation that i have extremely tight erectors.

i've been diligently massaging them for four weeks now and it has lessened the pain significantly, but there is still significant pain when i bend over like the old man is in the picture.

it's basically i get a sharp pain in the iliac crest everytime i bend over and my pelvis starts rounding away from a normal arched back position .

if i bend over an actively try to keep a hard arch like i'm deadlifting, i don't get pain.

if you had any advice at all for me it'd be much appreciated, thanks mark.

Get another opinion from a more competent therapist, you fool. The woman treats you, charges you money, but doesn't tell you what she's treating you for? Would you let your mechanic behave this way? I think not.