starting strength gym

Thread: Weight Class question...

Default Weight Class question...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach-

I've been flirting with the idea of competing in powerlifting. I've been doing GOMAD and I've put on about 25 pounds since the beginning of September. My lifts have drastically improved as well. I PR Deads and Squats everytime I do them. On to my question... Does it make more sense to work up to the limits of a weight class and then maintain the weight and attempt to increase strength, or is it better to gain a little extra weight and then attempt to decrease body weight and maintain strength levels attained at a higher bw?

Granted this is all pretty hypothetical at this point, but I was just curious about your take on it. You have previously mentioned that competing is an excellent way to stay motivated.

if it helps answer the question:
    28 yo
    5'6"
    188 lb
    last workout:
    sq 330 3X5
    bp 260 3X5
    dl 375 1X5

Thanks in advance.
    And if this is a stupid question please feel free to tell me to shut the fuck up and drink my milk.

Tom

Most people have had better luck training a little over the weight class and then cutting weight 3-4 days out, keeping the strength gained at the heavier bodyweight. This has been the standard approach to both WL and PL for the entire history of both sports.

Good to know.... Thanks. I guess that puts me right smack in the middle. I could either gain 10 or lose 7 from my current weight. Looks like I'll probably gain, I love milk.

Thanks again Rip for all your help and advice. I continually amaze myself with every workout. This is by far the most fun I've ever had in a gym.