starting strength gym

Thread: Uneven arms?

Default Uneven arms?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So my right arm has always been stronger as a result of being right handed. Now that I've started training, I notice it more. My right arm is noticeably bigger than my left (at least, I notice it), especially the bicep and forearm but also the tricep. Now granted, I only Bench 60kg and deadlift (double overhand) 105kg for 5 reps. However will getting my bench up to 100kg and deadlift up to 180kg make things even out or will it make the imbalances even worse?

I have one of those heavy grip things, just the easy trainer one, 100lb. I just did 30 reps with my right arm, then I tried with my left and I could get only 3 reps.

So any advice on what to do please?

Thanks
    Last edited by manisstrong; 09-23-2010 at 03:08 AM.

Start jerking off with your left hand... At least 3-4 times a day, and you should be back on track within a month...

Quote Originally Posted by Dixen View Post
    Start jerking off with your left hand... At least 3-4 times a day, and you should be back on track within a month...
    Hmm, I might give this a go. I'm not sure I can handle 3-4 times a day, but I'll try to use my left exclusively.

Your left arm will catch up. I tore the bicep in my left arm so I had to take nearly a year off of heavy weights after having the repair done. It took another 6 months to a year before I felt secure that it wasn't going to snap again. My left arm is just as strong as my right now.

Quote Originally Posted by manisstrong View Post
    Hmm, I might give this a go. I'm not sure I can handle 3-4 times a day, but I'll try to use my left exclusively.
    It even has the added benefit of the exhilleration of cheating, without the smashed windows on your car!

he he he he he

Quote Originally Posted by drewcarroll2 View Post

he he he he he
    hahahahaha

The answer is that you're only benching 60kg. It's not that your right arm is stronger or bigger, it's less pathetically weak. It will even out in time as you get stronger and focus on even production from both sides. If you ever do unilateral work, which you really don't need to do at this point and shouldn't do right now, make sure you work your arms equally. This might mean that you work your left arm to failure and then just match the reps with your right, even if it's easy. Your right arm will probably always be a little stronger than your left, it's impossible to get things exactly equal, but they'll get pretty close, so don't worry about it. The worst thing you can do is try to do unilateral work to catch your left arm up with your right - this will probably just tire out your left arm so you can't bench right.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixen View Post
    x2