starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Whats up guys,
    Im doing low bar back squat

Today I was in the gym, and a powerlifter came in a watched me squat, he goes to me, "you're using all quad, and none of your posterior chain. If you were using you're posterior chain more I guarantee you would put up a lot more weight."

I thought about what he said and I believe he is right. I think I'm not getting adequate hip drive and Ive watched Rip's videos on youtube, and I have read his book.

What do you guys think I could critique?

http://youtu.be/o6Ayb-bU5lE

I think you need to read the book again, and watch the DVD (not youtube vids).

You're sitting back with your hips first, you don't stay tight at all on the way down, you fall into the bottom and crash into your knees. So let's fix that.

Knees and hips break together at the top. Control your descent; don't let the weight shove you down, rather, you control the speed of the descent and stay tight. And finally, your knee forward position will be set by about the halfway point in your descent. After that, it's just sit back and lean over; no more knee forward.

If you do this all right, you'll start getting the rebound out of the bottom, instead of the current "high bar rebound" of your hams bouncing off calves that you're currently getting.

Hey Michael, I appreciate your response.

Today I tried controlling the weight on the descent and stay tight. Also, I am still trying to get used to the leaning over and sitting back.

How do these look? Is there a slight improvement?

http://youtu.be/3cyl4K47QV4

It looks like you're still feeling it out, but better and on the right track.