starting strength gym

Thread: Chin-ups and pressing strength

Default Chin-ups and pressing strength

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi, hope this isn't a frequently asked question, I couldn't find an answer with the search button. My stat:

Male, 24 years old
    ~95 kg (~210 lb), 1.78 m (5'10'')

Squat: 3x5 @ 152.5 kg (~335)
    Bench press: 3x5 @ 95 kg (~210)
    Press: 3x5 @ 66.25 kg (~145)
    Dead-lift: 1x5 @ 167.5 (~370)
    Power clean: 5x3 @ 97.5kg (~215)

I'm following the SS model, doing light squat on Friday (I train Wednesday-Friday-Sunday) and alternating bench/press and dead-lift/power clean. I would say I'm near the end of my linear progression, is getting harder and harder adding weight each time. Sometime I miss some reps in the last two sets, but I usually can complete all the set in the following workout, so I think I should stick with linear progression until I'll miss on two/three consecutive workout.

I think my squat and pulling weights are high enough to justify a forthcoming change in my program, but reading both SS and PPFST, I feel I can progress a little more on my pressing weight with linear progression. A month ago I did a reset for the press (10%) and it is coming up nicely, without excessive struggle or missed reps (after the reset I also switched from 2.5kg/5lb increments to 1.25kg/2.5lb). The bench press is more of a problem, in the last weeks I've 95 twice, done it in the next workout, only to miss 97.5 in the last workout.

Said that, I thought of 4 possible problem:
    1. lacking (shoulder) press strength (because of the reset), in this case I should continue my linear progression until press catches up or maybe reset the bench a little (5%)?
    2. too much incremental load for the bench, so maybe switching to 1.25kg/2.5lg increment for the bench too
    3. maybe a technique problem with the bench
    4. I also thought of the fact that I didn't include chin-ups in my program because my progression with the pulling exercises was good and I didn't need a rest from pulling on the second workout of the week.

On the last point I would like to hear some input, because for past experience I know I've always sucked at chins, and maybe training them would solve the problem I'm having with the bench. On the other hand I'm reluctant to add another exercise to a program which is already testing my recovery abilities and I wouldn't want to stall on the other lifts because of that.
    That said, if I have to add chin-ups to my current program, I would try to continue pulling every workout and adding chins after dead-lift (only because the workouts with cleans are already long). Doing so I would do chins 3 times over two week.

I've also read the last PPFST, and not seeing chin-ups in the Texas Method (at least in the first phases) made me doubt the importance of this exercise, aside from active recovery from pulling.

You should chin. It is good for you. I tend to chin every workout, usually doing less on deadlift or power clean days. Also, use smaller jumps on the bench. You can go down to 1 and 2 pound (0.5 to 1 kg) increments should you want to do so with the pressing exercises. I would consider deadlifting and chinning on Wed, Chinning on Fri, and doing cleans and chins on Sun. As for technique, I cannot say without a video.

Also, leave a rep in the tank on the chins. If you chin often, going to failure isn't a great idea.

Thank you very much for taking time to answer.

Yesterday I benched and missed on the first set, so I choose to do a reset (previous time I failed I could always do at least 1 or 2 complete sets). I will take advantage of the reset to do chin-ups every workout. In fact, yesterday I've also started doing chin-ups (after dead-lift) and at first I managed to do sets of 5 (easy reps), I then proceeded with sets of 3 (also not to failure), for a total of 30 reps (I could do more). Is that seems too much volume or should I do more (considering that I will do them every workout) ?
    As for the increment I think I'll use 2.5kg/5 pound increments until I'll reach again 95kg and then, after 2 weeks of chin-ups, I'll consider smaller increments.

I would make your first chin up workouts reasonably easy if you haven't been doing them. Remember, whenever you incorporate a new exercise, be conservative.