starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Vs Squat Shoes

Default Deadlift Vs Squat Shoes

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on technique tips from guys who seem pretty reputable/pros and/or lift big weights. It seems weightlifting shoes (with a bit of a heel) are used for squats. But for deadlifts, I see guys using flat soles (maybe Converse) or even just socks. Again, these are guys are lifting big...500/600+ so obviously they have a pretty good idea what they are doing. I also see the same guys who use weightlifting shoes for squats opt to not use them deadlifts (so they obviously are aware of them and have them). I am curious what is going on with the deadlifts shoes (or lack thereof).

Some here use shoes for dls. Some do not.

I dont dl in shoes but i love the heel shoes for squats (some here dont)

For me there is zero doubt what i prefer. I dont squat without heeled shoes and i dont dl with a heeled shoe.

Anything that puts you farther away from the ground will make DL's harder. The closer to the ground you are(barefoot vs a 3/4" heel), the more weight you can pull, the stronger you will get, the more weight you can pull, the stronger you can get etc. If it helps, imagine trying to deadlift while standing on a bench and reaching down to the bar on the floor. Raised heel shoes do the same thing to a lesser extent.

Quote Originally Posted by composite View Post
    Again, these are guys are lifting big...500/600+ so obviously they have a pretty good idea what they are doing.
    I pulled well over 500 before I had any idea what I was doing. So no, it's not obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    Anything that puts you farther away from the ground will make DL's harder. The closer to the ground you are(barefoot vs a 3/4" heel), the more weight you can pull, the stronger you will get, the more weight you can pull, the stronger you can get etc. If it helps, imagine trying to deadlift while standing on a bench and reaching down to the bar on the floor. Raised heel shoes do the same thing to a lesser extent.
    Actually, some lifters can pull more from a slight deficit (or in oly shoes). The angle can allow some lifters to use more quadriceps action to get the bar moving off the floor. Personally, I find the shoes take roughly 20-30 pounds off my max pull, so I train in socks and compete in slippers.

I pulled 600 x 4 without a belt in Oly shoes and 700 x 2 (100lbs of chains) in shoes, too. I've pulled 700 and 705 w/ a belt and without shoes. I don't think it's that cut and dry and probably matters little in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by composite View Post
    Again, these are guys are lifting big...500/600+ so obviously they have a pretty good idea what they are doing.
    Phenomenology. This is not a valid assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I pulled 600 x 4 without a belt in Oly shoes and 700 x 2 (100lbs of chains) in shoes, too. I've pulled 700 and 705 w/ a belt and without shoes. I don't think it's that cut and dry and probably matters little in the grand scheme of things.
    We're talking about normal people here, McGainzZz. Not bionic froyo-fueled deadlifting machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I pulled well over 500 before I had any idea what I was doing. So no, it's not obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin
    Phenomenology. This is not a valid assumption.
    I think you guys are being too picky here. I also stated that they were well respected and/or pros. It wasn't like I was just watching "some guy" on YouTube who happens to pull a lot of weight. So if you put that all into context, it is a very reasonable to assumption. The only assumption, leading to the question, was if flat shoes or no shoes may possibly be better than weightlighting shoes for the deadlift. It was not a statement that flat shoes/no shoes are in fact better than weightlifting shoes. And as it turns out the answer is in-line with the assumption (i.e. that yes flats or no shoes are possibly better than weightlifting shoes).

The part that confused me was that I went to Rippetoe's gym for a technique session, weightlifting shoes were emphasized since I was wearing converse. So taking that advice, I got some. But there was no mention that flat shoes or no shoes may actually be better for the deadlift.
    Last edited by composite; 10-09-2014 at 04:48 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    An apropos article today on tnation.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/deadlifts-dirty-secret

I thought it was a really good read.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast