starting strength gym

Thread: Physio advice check

Default Physio advice check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Whilst learning the squat I ended up damaging what turned out to be my rectos femoris leaving me with groin pain whenever I tried to squat, irrespective of weight.

I ended up seeing a physio who himself lifted and he diagnosed poor hip hinge mobility, tight hip flexors, short ham strings, an imbalance between my inner and outer quads and zero glute firing.

Basically pretty much everything you could imagine to hinder a decent squat.

Through stretches and physio sessions we've been working on getting things fixed and he says I am now at the point where I can begin to squat again but only half squats with very light weight to get things moving again.

He has advised that to protect the damaged muscle and to prevent reoccurrence I should squat with a slightly narrower stance - shoulder width at the most to and to keep my toes pointing more forwards - about 15 degrees to more globally use quads, addressing my imbalance.

We'll work on the rest as we progress.

I know not squatting to full depth is a heinous crime and the stance is a little different to the book, but is this a wise path to follow during my rehab?

Don't want to be doing anything that raises eyebrows outside of my physio room...

Quote Originally Posted by Drag Racer UK View Post
    Don't want to be doing anything that raises eyebrows outside of my physio room...
    You are paying him good money, you are paying us nothing. I recommend you get your money's worth.

This has been covered many times.

I wish you a speedy recovery.