starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ratchet-straps from the ceiling in lieu of power rack

Default ratchet-straps from the ceiling in lieu of power rack

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Can you tell me if this is stupid or worth a shot? I can't afford a power rack and don't have the space for it in my garage. However, I have ratchet straps that easily adjust and can each support 600lbs (they're $15 at Home Depot). My notion is to attach two of them to the ceiling about six feet apart and run them down to my bar. Infinitely adjustable. They can each be adjusted to the exact same length, too since they have ruler-markings on them. Thinking they'd be good for presses (so I won't have to clean the weight), bench and as an emergency stop for squats. And good for partial deadlifts. Thank you.

How are you going to detach the bar from them for squats? Or as you imply that they are emergency stops for squats how do you propose getting the bar to the right height to start with if the straps are set lower?

I guess the press and bench could work though, other than getting under the bar for benching when its starting at chest height would be awkward.

He says he doesn't have the budget or space for a power rack, but you can get squat stands for much cheaper and they take up way less space. Or really you can use anything as stands, there's some guy squatting 315 off of 2 wooden dining chairs in the garage gym thread. Obviously something like adjustable saw horses would be much better.

He's going to home depot, so probably building those concrete/5-gallon bucket/2x4's squat stands. I agree that good sawhorses are a better idea. Or he could build 2 nice sturdy boxes to put under the actual plates, kind of like jerk boxes.

What does "support 600lbs" mean? Breaking strength or working load? Also is the weak spot the strap or the ratchet? What is the working load limit of the truss in the garage and the working load of any other item used to attach it? No, don't use ratchet straps. Get proper equipment, or find someone who can weld.

A failed squat might come down on one side much faster than the other, and the impulse might be much greater than 600 pounds, at least temporarily. This is a recipe for disaster.

Think about what ratchet straps are designed to do. They hold a load together, they are not designed to catch a load.

The kind of straps used for safeties in a monolift work very well for this purpose. Some other, different kind of strap might not.

First off, is this going to hang off the joists or the main beam of the house? A joist probably won't be strong enough to handle a dropped squat. If the main beam in your house is like the main beam in my house(3 2X12s) it could probably handle it no problem at all.

Second, why use straps when you could use chain instead?

starting strength coach development program
    I use H-base squat stands and Spud Inc suspension straps in my basement...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast