starting strength gym

Thread: A lot of Neck Pain

Default A lot of Neck Pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    For the last 48 hours I've been having a lot of neck pain on the right side of my neck (not the left side). My shoulders seem fine and I can move my arms every way I can think of, but moving my head around hurts. It even hurts getting up, laying down, washing dishes and eating food unless I keep my head relatively still (surprisingly hard to do in day to day life). This is a sharp shooting pain, not DOMS.

I just started SS and I'm two weeks in. I go to a barbell type gym and had 1-1 training with a guy before I start with classes (this place does have specialty in the SS program).

I'm 32, M, 5'10", about 163 lbs (small to medium frame). I'm not an athlete (computer job) and I've never really trained much before. I've had no prior neck injuries before (except once a few years ago I slept in an awkward position and woke up with this kind of pain before, it lasted a week).

This started I believe when I started to do power cleans. I'm pretty sure my form is right (I hope so anyway, or else the trainer doesn't know what he is talking about...).

Here are my working sets as a beginner (I've only been in it for 2 weeks so our first two weeks was more about form and finding a good starting weight).

Squat: 52 kg (114 lbs)
    Press: 26 kg (57 lbs)
    Deadlift: 62 kg (136 lbs)
    Bench: 50 kg (110 lbs)
    Power Clean: 35 kg (77 lbs)

Obviously newbie numbers

Anyway, I took some Ibuprofen (200 mg) and the pain almost completely disappeared for a few hours but I can feel it coming back now. I have scheduled a doctors appointment (primary care physician) tomorrow.

What is going on? I may stop the program for a few days (or a week) to this is resolved as it may lead to more injury. Is there an exercise that I can do in place of the power clean that won't stress my neck like this?

Should I get an x-ray and MRI?

Quote Originally Posted by grandnexus View Post
    Anyway, I took some Ibuprofen (200 mg) and the pain almost completely disappeared for a few hours but I can feel it coming back now. I have scheduled a doctors appointment (primary care physician) tomorrow.

What is going on? I may stop the program for a few days (or a week) to this is resolved as it may lead to more injury. Is there an exercise that I can do in place of the power clean that won't stress my neck like this?

Should I get an x-ray and MRI?
    We're not going to be able to tell you anything the doctor can't, especially without seeing your form. But there's nothing inherently neck-stressing about the power clean. Take another ibuprofin if it helps.

I'm pretty sure my form is right (I hope so anyway, or else the trainer doesn't know what he is talking about...).
    You seem like you would be surprised if your trainer doesn't know what he's talking about. Don't be.