starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To belt or not to belt, that is my question.

Default To belt or not to belt, that is my question.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Current squat 380 3x5
    Deadlift 390 1x5
    I have yet to use a belt for any lifts. At what point should I maybe start considering using one, and at what point did each of you start using one? Is it just personal preference or will it start to become a limiting factor for me at some point?

Use a belt.

Thank god someone finally asked this question. I can't believe it hasn't been asked and answered like fifty times already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdemarco View Post
    Current squat 380 3x5
    Deadlift 390 1x5
    I have yet to use a belt for any lifts. At what point should I maybe start considering using one, and at what point did each of you start using one? Is it just personal preference or will it start to become a limiting factor for me at some point?
    Nice lifts. My maxes are close to those. :-) I started using a belt around 315 for squats (a little less for DLs). I think going beltless is only a "limiting factor" in that you could lift more with a belt (squatting at least) and the more often you lift heavy, the stronger you'll get overall.

Also, your rep scheme makes it look like you're still on SS, if that's the case you may run LP out a little farther if you add a belt once you start stalling.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    Thank god someone finally asked this question. I can't believe it hasn't been asked and answered like fifty times already.
    sarcasm

awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by GOMAD View Post
    sarcasm

awesome.
    Good edit, considering how often people specifically point out they've used the search function for the sole reason that they see some of the remarks other people get.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdemarco View Post
    Current squat 380 3x5
    Deadlift 390 1x5
    fwiw started using one after a squat injury due to bad form and probably/luckily minor in nature... ~250lb squat

Try it a couple of times and you will quickly make up your own mind. Feels good man.

Tried using a belt for reps on squats a couple of times, did not like it. Also do not like wearing a belt for dead lift. Never tried for bench.

I do use a belt when squatting 600+ pounds in competition.

starting strength coach development program
    I only wear a belt on my top work sets or max attempts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast