starting strength gym

Thread: Back Angle and Deadlift Form [check]

Default Back Angle and Deadlift Form [check]

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Howdy all -

As you can tell by my extensive post count, I'm new around here. And, as newbies are wont to do, I dive right in the deep end. Some quick background; I have a relatively common back ground in strength training. Started in college, carried it through the military, then into the civilian career. But, I'm pretty schizophrenic in my training. I try a little of this, little of that, take breaks, generally lack commitment and have no one to blame but myself. I'm also pretty skinny, much to my endless shame.

Now that the good parts are out of the way - I'm looking to start a baseline, no-BS SS program and stick to it here in the next week. Reason being; I actually am starting to get to 'that age' where mortality is a real thing (read: I have a 2 year old son and a baby girl on the way, and they are growing high schoolers with miracle grow nowadays). I need to be stronger. Pretty much end of story.

That said, I've been deadlifting for a while. When I dedicate myself to it, I make pretty good progress (imagine that). My best pull to date is 325 @ 141 lbs body weight. I'm not anywhere close to that right now, and i'm concerned that I'm having some kind of form issue. I've always deadlifting from a position that looks a lot like the start of a clean; which is to say, with my hips/ass way too low. In trying to 'get right,' I've started to notice that the lower part of my back seems to perpetually stay rounded. I've put a video here for a quick review. It could be that I'm making something out of nothing. But, I figure qualified advice would be the best medicine.

Also, please ignore my rippling musculature, bald head, and messy garage. Further, I caught myself exhaling at the top, which is fabulously stupid. Working on that, too.

Thanks, y'all have a good one.

M

Says I need to sign in to view video. Also, we don't start a clean with low hips. Well some people do, but they're wrong and can't explain why they're right.

Apologies - had the wrong setting on the video. Should be good now.

That bar looks forward of midfoot. Also, that belt looks like a poor option

First of all gain some weight.

Second of all yes your lower back is rounded because you never set it by pulling your chest up, you move your shoulders but never actually pull your chest up. If you really pull your chest up that will often bring your hips down to right position. I do think you are going to need to bring your hips down some because they are pretty high. Your back angle is almost horizontal. You have long femurs so your back angle will be more extreme than others but not as much as you have it now.

When you compare to the picture below your shoulders are too far in front of the bar. Bringing your shoulders back and chest up will fix most of your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Binford View Post
    First of all gain some weight.

Second of all yes your lower back is rounded because you never set it by pulling your chest up, you move your shoulders but never actually pull your chest up. If you really pull your chest up that will often bring your hips down to right position. I do think you are going to need to bring your hips down some because they are pretty high. Your back angle is almost horizontal. You have long femurs so your back angle will be more extreme than others but not as much as you have it now.

When you compare to the picture below your shoulders are too far in front of the bar. Bringing your shoulders back and chest up will fix most of your problems.

Blu and Derek - thank you!

This is the kind of thing I needed. The weight gain is my lifelong struggle and I'm rededicating the effort forthwith.

Derek - when you say my back angle will be more extreme than others, this means (and this is a question) that the more parallel to the floor my unfortunately long femurs become, the more vertical my back angle. And because of those bastard femurs, I will be more parallel to the floor than some people? I know that's a general rephrasing of what you said, but I want to make sure I'm understanding that the angle I need to be gunning for based on my anthropometry (I actually know this word from flight school, ugh) is 'more horizontal than most' as opposed to 'more vertical.'

Much obliged for the feedback.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes it's possible due to your long femurs that your back angle will be more parallel to the floor than others. I don't think anybody should probably ever be as parallel to the floor as you are. When you move your shoulders back a bit that will help. The drawing I posted actually has pretty long femurs compared to lower legs so I'd think you'd look fairly similar to this when you move your shoulders back and bring that chest up.