starting strength gym

Thread: Bench form check - elbow/tricep pain during lockout

Default Bench form check - elbow/tricep pain during lockout

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have been getting a lot of pain in my left elbow, mainly in my tricep. Presses, dips, and chin ups all hurt it a little bit, but benching is definitely the worst and I suspect the cause of the pain is something to do with my bench technique. I have had this pain for about a month now and can no longer bench heavy weights without it hurting badly.

I broke the rules a bit and included four angles in the video as I wasn't sure which would be most useful. Hope that's ok. The weight is also about 45lbs lighter than what I would normally use on volume day. It was just too painful to go heavier. If it's absolutely necessary I will post another video with my normal volume day weight, but that will aggravate it a lot and possibly stop me from doing other exercises so I would definitely rather not do that.

Bench form check - YouTube

The part of the movement which hurts is the lockout - you can see my left elbow shaking because of it.

Something else I should mention - when you watch the 3rd angle in the video, you can see I am laying slightly to the left on the bench. I have tried for months to try and correct this but if I move over any more to the right, it feels totally unstable and wrong like I am just hanging off the right side of the bench. I think my torso is slightly unbalanced/uneven and maybe somehow this is the causing me to position myself unevenly on the bench?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

There's nothing about your bench technique that would suggest elbow pain. Many people experience this as a result of the way they hold the bar in the squat. Have you looked at that yet? Get any pain with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    There's nothing about your bench technique that would suggest elbow pain. Many people experience this as a result of the way they hold the bar in the squat. Have you looked at that yet? Get any pain with it?
    I have had bicep tendinitis from squatting before and managed to almost completely get rid of it by using a thumbs around, wide grip and wrist wraps. Although I sometimes still get a little bit of pain from squatting it is no where near as bad or as frequent as what it used to be.

The pain I have now, although it is in my entire elbow to some degree, is much more in my tricep than my bicep, and only hurts badly when I am benching, not when I am squatting. (When I had bicep tendinitis before, squatting was extremely painful). This makes me think it isn't related to my squat grip, although I could be wrong. If you like I can post a squat check, but I find the grip I have now works well for me. Whenever I have tried to switch back to a thumbless grip, my bicep will start hurting again almost straight away.

My current plan is to do deload my bench to a weight I can do without pain, slowly work up from there, and hope it sorts itself out. Other than that I'm not really sure what else I can do?

Thanks