starting strength gym

Thread: Routine Check (stalling Presses/Bench)

Default Routine Check (stalling Presses/Bench)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I switched from SS to something that is more of an intermediate/Texas Method after several stalls. I'm 5'7 , 170 lbs. Ive been on the intermediate a couple months.

Monday
    squats 5x5
    bench/press 5x5
    Power cleans 5x3
    chin ups 3x15/12/9 (or however many i get)

Wednesday
    front squats 3x3
    Press/bench 3x5
    pull ups 3x??
    dips 3x15/12/10

Friday
    Squats 1x3
    Bench/press 1x3
    Deadlift 1x3
    weighted chin ups 3x9/7,6

My presses and benching seems to have started to stall compared to the rest of my lifts. I have slightly longer than normal arms for my height which im sure helps my pulls and screws my presses but should I tweak this routine at all? I saw someone with benching and weighted dips on monday...should i add more volume monday and do weighted dips then instead of wednesday? Should I toss in 3x3 power cleans wednesday? I know the program is mine to play with but the stalls are making me reach out.

My Max
    Squat 1x3 260 lbs
    bench 1x3 215 lbs
    press 1x3 150 lbs
    deadlift 1x3 380 lbs (no straps)

The obvious questions is: have you been using small enough increments for your pressing? If not, this is the first thing to fix.

I use a couple 1.25 lb plates. So every week I try to at least add these for 2.5 lbs for a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
    My presses and benching seems to have started to stall compared to the rest of my lifts.
    It notes in PP that "Chins, for example, if done too hard the workout before a heavy bench press day, would be counterproductive." But forget the quote, and just look at the fact that you're doing 3 sets to failure of chins/pullups at every workout. And then there's the sets of dips to failure on top of that, coming right on what should be a "light" day (48 hours before testing 3RM's in your pressing). AND THEN, there's the 3x5 overhead pressing on Light days when you already have a good ratio of press-to-bench strength. It's like you upped the volume on the SS routine, but allowed for no additional recovery.

Now look at your squats and deads - the 'gaining' exercises for you. You have a 5x5 day, a light day, and a 1x3RM day. No '3 sets of leg extensions/leg curls to failure' on your light day, or anything like that. And that's great, as you can tell from your progress on those exercises.

I'm no expert - that's Rip. Shit, I'm not even anywhere near strong or experienced. But since we're pretty close strength-wise, I feel okay in preaching some (at least till Rip makes me look like a moron).

Nice observation, Draco.

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
    My Max
    Squat 1x3 260 lbs
    bench 1x3 215 lbs
    press 1x3 150 lbs
    deadlift 1x3 380 lbs (no straps)
    Your numbers seem a little off
    squat 260 and dead 380 wow

and bench press 215 and only 150 oh presses

how can there be such difference between "similar" exercises?

Am I wrong to think this is odd?

ya that makes a hell of a lot of sense. I'll change things up a bit to allow more recovery.

One more thing. In general, how fast should gains be coming once you hit the intermediate level? Should I be able to add 2.5lbs to a lift every week? More? Less? I just want to know so when I get my program straight I'll know I'm where I should be.

I don't think his ratios are that bad. The squat could be a little better relative to the DL, but a 150 press with a 215 bench is a pretty damn good press. I'd rather see that than a 300 bench and a 135 press, which is more typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think his ratios are that bad. The squat could be a little better relative to the DL, but a 150 press with a 215 bench is a pretty damn good press. I'd rather see that than a 300 bench and a 135 press, which is more typical.
    I see what you're saying .. for some reason looking at 215 made me think of a bigger difference but in fact is not that bad... 50-65lb I suppose is quite common

starting strength coach development program
    Hmmm, my recent lifts are:

squat - 260 lbs. - 3 x 5
    dead - 375 lbs. - 1 x 5
    bench - 215 lbs. - 3 x 5
    OH press - 135 lbs. - 3 x 5
    power clean - 145 lbs. - 3 x 5

I was thinking that my ratios are okay. I'd like to get that squat up to 315 though.