starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method Friday Question

Default Texas Method Friday Question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    On Friday I'm going for PRs, but when I first start the program, how do you know where to start on Fridays? For example, I know on Monday I should start with my 5x5's at around 80% of my 5RM for week 1 and keep moving up about 5 lbs a week, but where do you start on Friday for a 1, 2 or 3RM? At 80% of your 1, 2 or 3 RM, or just start going for PRs right off the bat? I've re-read the chapter in PPST and it doesn't say.

Thanks Coach,

- Dave

Anytime a program calls for PRs, it will involve titrating up to the PR with your warmups. They cannot be calculated accurately -- they must be empirically determined. But if you think your 5 x 5 Monday workout is to be done with 80% of your 5RM, you have not read carefully. See the top of page 174.

Ok, I just re-read it and I see it says for example if your 5RM is 355, start with 340 or 345 for 5x5. So basically just drop 10-15 lbs off your 5RM for your 5x5, meaning a 5RM of 270 is about 255-260? Maybe I'm overthinking this way too much, I have a habit of doing that. It seems like I would stall out quickly.

Also Coach, I hurt my lower back in the mid to late summer doing deadlifts and had to lay off them for a while. I actually still get some pain if I pull really heavy (i.e. I pulled 310 today for 1, went for the 2nd and had to drop it before I could lock out it hurt too much). I know I should probably see a chiro but I just started a new job and have to wait 90 days for med insurance to kick in (bastards).

The question is, while doing this TM, would it be a good idea to not deadlift for PRs on friday but rather start lighter and use a simple linear progression Friday to Friday to get back up to strength on them? It dawned on me as a good idea today but I wanted to run it by you. Thanks again, Coach.

Yes, it might stall out quickly if you don't pay attention to recovery. But the jump is 5 lbs./week, and lots of people do this for quite a while before stalling all the time. And you can permute the workouts to fit your rehab schedule any way you want to. You have my permission.

Do a lot of people have success with starting a little lighter than normal to stave off an eventual stall (i.e. instead of 255, maybe 235-240 for 5x5 and work up 5 lbs/week?) or is this starting too light?

Thanks again Coach.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, it is also permissible to use your own judgement in these matters.