starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Question..Balls Get In The Way

Default Deadlift Question..Balls Get In The Way

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip, this is a serious question..

I am 6-2 235 mornings and 240 evening

I have noticed here lately when I do the deadlift upon lifting it from the floor to the completed lift position it ends up right where my balls are and I in my concentration to keep it close to the body I end up smashing my balls..I end up grinning and baring it and then bringing the bar back down to the floor.

It's as if I am scooping up my balls as I complete the lift as my arm length settles in that area.

I didn't have this problem before but as I studied the proper and safe way to do the deadlift like rubbing up on the shins, thighs as you bring it up.. I found out that I was doing them wrong before and kept the bar a bit from my body but in so doing I didn't experience ball smashing. Now keeping the bar a bit away from my body the wrong way my back was always aching afterwards.

Since the weight has gone up I don't want to risk serious injury at my age it's not worth it as I am not in competition with anyone only myself but this ball scooping is making it difficult to concentrate.

I wear the proper underwear support and it still happens.

I don't have access to a video recorder to show you but I think you can see it in your mind on how my lift goes.

Any suggestion on what to do outside of having a sex change operation?

Powerflifter48

You have short arms. In fact, a pretty good way to define "too short" -- in terms of arms -- would be if your deadlift smashes your balls. Damned if I know what to do about that, if you're sure your grip is narrow enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have short arms. In fact, a pretty good way to define "too short" -- in terms of arms -- would be if your deadlift smashes your balls.

Another deadlifter with T-Rex arms. Welcome to the club.

You could shim your balls

Wear a jockstrap with a cup?

If my arms were but an inch shorter I'd have this problem. Maybe switch to sumos?

At least bench is easy for us, eh. Fellow ball masher here.

How about wearing a cup? You know, one of those that the goalies wear in hockey? A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...and it beats the sex change option .

Possibly wear an athletic cup?

starting strength coach development program
    You could always try tucking them back like the guy in Silence of the Lambs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast