starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to 300

Default Road to 300

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Weight currently at 181-183 lbs. I find myself at the end of linear progression on the squat, although this may be due to flaws in form. Figured it would be worth maybe getting some more input, so Im going to start the log, see what happens...

Friday-
    Squat: 260x5x3
    Press: 135x4x3
    Deadlift: 265x5x1

Tried for 5 reps for the press, no go. Found myself doing Press 2.0 on the first rep and then the original Press for the rest...
    Working on the lower back position for the deadlift, going to start increasing as soon as I get better form...
    Last edited by Wolf97; 03-22-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Welcome,

Send a video. What are your height and age. Stick with what Rip teaches on Press. Do you work with Karl?

Sunday-
    Squat: 265x5x3
    Bench: 150x5x3
    Chins: 3 sets of 6 with 3 min. interval between

Pretty happy with the Squat PR. Going to start adding weight 2 times/week with a light day in between and will see how that goes.
    Also confident that the weight for bench press could be higher, but am keeping it light to give my shoulder time to recover from whatever is wrong with it...Have found that the chin-ups really help my bench press and press, should have started doing them alot sooner.

Have never worked with Karl, height is around 6 feet...
    Last edited by Wolf97; 03-24-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Wednesday-
    Squat: 270x5x3
    Press: 135x4x3
    Deadlift: 265x5x1

Really happy with the PR @270, as part of my new programming. Looking forward to 275 on Sunday.
    On the other hand, kinda upset with the press. Instead of sets of five, Im only getting sets of 4 at 135, and I dont have any microplates...any suggestions for what to do?
    Deadlifts are also annoying...not really progressing due to issues with setting my back. I dont want to add weight until I can control my back for all 5 reps...

On the other hand, kinda upset with the press. Instead of sets of five, Im only getting sets of 4 at 135, and I dont have any microplates...any suggestions for what to do?
    The press can be fickle. In fact, its downright frustrating and nasty at times. I find, probably due to the smaller muscle groups involved, it responds to more frequent training (say, every 2 days), more volume, and adding dips and chins. For me, the bigger muscle groups involved in squat and DL require longer rest periods.

Friday/Light day-
    Squat: 215x5x2
    Bench: 155x5x3
    Chins: 3 sets of 6 with 3 min. interval

Really like having a light day, all that volume was killing me. Ready to go for another PR, providing I'm feeling ok...
    Bench PR felt easy, hopefully the first of many... Chins also went well, although some idiot started stretching right underneath me as I was working...
    Going to add 5 lbs. to deadlift and see if my back will hold

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    The press can be fickle. In fact, its downright frustrating and nasty at times. I find, probably due to the smaller muscle groups involved, it responds to more frequent training (say, every 2 days), more volume, and adding dips and chins. For me, the bigger muscle groups involved in squat and DL require longer rest periods.
    really not sure how I can incorporate more volume, Im already doing 3 sets of 5...

Sunday-
    Squat: 275x5x3
    Press: 135x5x2
    135x4x1
    Deadlift: 275x5x1

Was able to finish all 5 reps of each set of squats, but by the fifth rep it was looking pretty bad (hips coming up before chest). Going to have to keep chest up more than I think I need to for the fourth and fifth reps.
    Finally got two sets of 5 with the press, hopefully next time I can get all 3. Forgot to take a deep breath before the second set so I had a bit of trouble there. Still looking for different programming for the press, as what I am currently doing is slow/not really the program.
    Due to my gym's inability to provide a 4th 10lb. plate, I was stuck deadlifting more than I wanted to. However, my back held up pretty well so I'm pretty happy about that.

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday-
    Squat: 280x5x1, 245x5x4
    Bench Press: 155x5x3
    Chins: 3 sets of 5

Lots of squats to make up for the time I'm going to miss. Nothing I can do about it. Didnt realize how hard this would be, but 245 feeling light almost made up for it. After squats I was pretty tired and my left wrist was killing (dont know why), so I just stuck with 155 for bench.
    Also decided to stick with 5 chins due to wrist issue.
    On an unrelated note, I watched the documentary the IWF put out about International Weight Lifting (Olympic Lifting) I thought it was really good and recommend it to anyone who has the time to watch it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast