starting strength gym

Thread: IWF "Lift the World"

Kyle Schuant Guest

Default IWF "Lift the World"

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    A documentary about weightlifting, with some of the more famous lifters out there.

Glad they didnt feature the U.S.

Eeeehhhhh I was really looking forward to this thing, and was pretty disappointed. I believe their goal was to make a video for the general public along the lines of "Weightlifting is the best sport on Earth. Here's what it is and why we love it."

Instead, what we got was
    1. Weightlifting is good for kids and coaching is fun, too, maybe
    2. Meet the Klokovs, our First Family of Weightlifting!
    3a. 2013 Worlds, sort of, along with a really confusing explanation on weigh-in procedures and competition procedurals, without actually explaining what Sn and CJ are....WTF
    4. Chinese weightlifting program
    3b. 2013 Worlds, part deux
    5. African Weightlifting Federation
    6. That caveman-looking (paleo??!) guy who lifted for the CCCP in the early 80's

I really liked the segment on the Tunisian and Cameeroonian llifters, who get minimal coverage, usually, unless poached by France, and the Klokov part was a cool human interest story, but overall, the whole thing felt disjointed, as if I was perusing a series of "Recommended for you" videos on YouTube, and didn't create any overarching story. I'll file this in the same bin as Greg Everett's American Weightlifting as another missed opportunity at introducing this grimy little sport to non-lifters.

Kyle Schuant Guest

Well, the people inside any group tend not to be the best at advertising that group. To them it's all obvious. "But why wouldn't you want to do it?"

This applies to the SS community too, of course.

Still, I thought it was interesting, even if as you say, disjointed.

It just needed the Americans wth Jon North heading the publicity for them and it would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    It just needed the Americans wth Jon North heading the publicity for them and it would be perfect.
    Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    The only sure way of making it a comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    The justin bieber of weightlifting, minus the success.

Nope

He is the "tap out" guy for Olympic lifting
    haha - not bad

Where is the SS lifter contribution to that video? Or are you guys still dealing with that gut impingement issue trying to get in the start position?

starting strength coach development program
    This was exactly my reaction. The explanation of weight lifting was terrible - the explanation should have started with "this is the snatch", "this is the C&J", "you get three attempts", and then maybe explained all the weird complicated crap and shown a good, exciting example of lifters 'dueling' like that. Also, as someone who lifted for a bit in Morocco, I was really into the African segment, though they didn't actually feature any Moroccans. It was still pretty sweet- I bet that was the first time that many of those lifters had even touched a bar or equipment of that quality.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Eeeehhhhh I was really looking forward to this thing, and was pretty disappointed. I believe their goal was to make a video for the general public along the lines of "Weightlifting is the best sport on Earth. Here's what it is and why we love it."

Instead, what we got was
    1. Weightlifting is good for kids and coaching is fun, too, maybe
    2. Meet the Klokovs, our First Family of Weightlifting!
    3a. 2013 Worlds, sort of, along with a really confusing explanation on weigh-in procedures and competition procedurals, without actually explaining what Sn and CJ are....WTF
    4. Chinese weightlifting program
    3b. 2013 Worlds, part deux
    5. African Weightlifting Federation
    6. That caveman-looking (paleo??!) guy who lifted for the CCCP in the early 80's

I really liked the segment on the Tunisian and Cameeroonian llifters, who get minimal coverage, usually, unless poached by France, and the Klokov part was a cool human interest story, but overall, the whole thing felt disjointed, as if I was perusing a series of "Recommended for you" videos on YouTube, and didn't create any overarching story. I'll file this in the same bin as Greg Everett's American Weightlifting as another missed opportunity at introducing this grimy little sport to non-lifters.