starting strength gym

Thread: 1RM Deadlift Form Check

Default 1RM Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

First, thanks again for maintaining this excellent forum.

Here are videos of me pulling 500# and 530# for one rep each:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeY6QktPlBQ (500)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XkMUv133s (530)
    (Lifts start at :45 and 1:00 respectively, sorry for the excess setup and praying)

500 didn't feel too difficult, however 530 was a PR and felt like a true 1RM. After watching the video myself, I noticed that my butt is starting way too low on both and that my back rounds a bit on the 500 attempt, and then considerably on the 530. I am actively trying to keep my lower back tight and locked in throughout the movement.

I am preparing to enter my first PL meet in about a month and realize that by definition, a true DL 1RM will not have textbook form. Do you think my 1RM has an unacceptable level of "slop" or is it OK for what it is? Also, any other form tips or mistakes you see would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Note the position during the pull when your back starts top unlock. The form problem you have noted is the point during which this occurs. If the pull off the floor has been trained incorrectly, you will not have developed the strength for the lumbar extension that a correct pull would have permitted. If you learn to pull with your ass down too low, you are trying to squat the bar off the floor in your hands, and this is not how a deadlift is done.