starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coan / Phillipi Deadlift Routine

Default Coan / Phillipi Deadlift Routine

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025

I think I'm going to try this program. From everything I've read I should be able to add a least 25 pounds to my max.

It will work really well, if you can get through it and handle the work. If you have a demanding job/career or kids, I would not try it.

I did it. I failed the weights week 8, then took 3-4 weeks off and pulled a single. Hit like a 25 lb PR. Think I went from 610 to 635 at about 210 bodyweight. My buddy took his deadlift from 740 to 780 on it, but he wasn't squatting much at the time. He also went through a short spurt towards the end of the program where he thought he regressed, but then he pulled a big lift out his ass at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    I did it. I failed the weights week 8, then took 3-4 weeks off and pulled a single. Hit like a 25 lb PR. Think I went from 610 to 635 at about 210 bodyweight. My buddy took his deadlift from 740 to 780 on it, but he wasn't squatting much at the time. He also went through a short spurt towards the end of the program where he thought he regressed, but then he pulled a big lift out his ass at the end.
    Did you do the assistance work in a circuit or did you modify it?

I did the assistance work, but I didn't use much weight since it was so much work. Used about 225-275 on all the assistance work and did it as a circuit. My friend used over 600 on SLDL and came within a rep or two of failing on that lift each set. He also did all the other exercises as a circuit and went heavy as hell on all the other assistance work. But he had about the best recovery ability I've ever seen. He became a pro HW strongman without ever taking steroids. What works for him may not work for many people.

Thanks for the reply, did you do any squatting while doing the program?

I did box squats 1x/week with bands. Did 8-12 sets of 2, like a Westside speed day. Didn't do any max effort movement, though. Basically let the deadlift workout serve that function.

Thanks, I think I'll try that using my Safety Squat Bar maybe 2 days after Deadlifting.

starting strength coach development program
    How do you involve special programs like this in your regular training? For instance, I'm doing a 4-day TM split:
    Mon - volume bench
    Tues - volume squat, speed deadlift
    Thursday - intensity bench
    Friday - intensity squat, deadlift

Would I just do the speed and circuit parts of the Coan/Phillipi routing on tuesdays, and use the heavier part of the routine on Friday?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast