starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press not increasing - Everything else fine

Default Bench Press not increasing - Everything else fine

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm not sure if this belongs in this section. I've been doing SS for a few months and these are my stats so far
    5'11 male.
    BW 145lbs > 171 lbs
    Squat 70lbs > 205 lbs
    Deadlift 70lbs > 235 lbs
    Press 45lbs (stuck on 45 for a few weeks) > 105 lbs
    Bench Press 75 lbs > 140 lbs

I just did 140 lbs today, and missed the last 2 reps. I feel like this weight is too low to start stalling already. I strained my rotator cuff at around 110lbs, and took a few weeks off. When I got back I stalled at 125lbs. I deloaded and I'm now at 145lbs. While i'm not stalling quite yet, its imminent.

I'm also starting to have trouble with the press (not as bad as the BP), and since both the press and the bench press stress the triceps pretty heavily, I'm thinking it might be a problem with my triceps.

My other lifts are all coming along just fine.

Upper body lifts like the bench and press are the most heavily influenced by your muscular bodyweight/diet. You need some meat on your shoulders, arms and chest before things start really moving.

Also, with bench press progression also depends a lot on your technique and mindset. You really have to get the groove and focus right to handle the largest largest weights, and you need to handle the largest weights to stimulate progression.

Post a video of your bench.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...2&feature=plcp

If you are still stalling with improved technique, you might try microloading.

Use smaller jumps than 5 pounds.

5/3/1 plus BBB made helped me set bench PRs despite being more than 10lbs in body weight than when i previously set PRs. I don't find 3x5 very helpful in setting PRs after a while. One heavy set plus back off sets is better for me.

You should make sure you're benching correctly. How on earth did you hurt yourself with 110lbs? You need to provide more information about your training week and how you feel. You shouldn't be getting hurt. Muscles that stop getting stronger are everyone's problem. If that's your only complaint, I wonder if you assumed you could progress indefinitely.

The problem with your triceps is that they aren't strong enough. Use a close grip on one of the presses for a while.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Use smaller jumps than 5 pounds.
    This. I blasted through old plateaus (around 165 to 205 before starting 5/3/1) once I got some fractionals. Often 5 lbs is too much but 2.5 is fine and still produces an adaptation.