starting strength gym

Thread: Adding Powercleans to PP novice program

Default Adding Powercleans to PP novice program

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm not currently at a computer so I can't see if there's a separate routine already on the excel thing that would work better for this but I wanted to get some opinions on it.
    My main goal for this is to gain strength for throwing discus and shot put at my high school. Would it be alright to add power cleans to the days that I only do 2 BB exercises or is it likely to become too much especially for a novice? Or is there something that would be better to add than power cleans? I read an article on throwers by bill Starr saying to do incline benches(as well as power cleans) but I figure I should keep with flat for now because I'm still quite weak.

What are you talking about, power cleans are already included in the novice program, every workout has three barbell exercises, and half of those workouts have power cleans.

If you're still weak, then stick with the flat bench press.

The practical programming novice one does not, I guess I forgot to add that, or if it does then I've been having some sight/illiteracy issues for a few weeks now which I doubt. Or I've got something messed up with it atleast. Squats every session, alternates bench/ohp, deadlift every other workout with pullups/chins on the days that only have squat/bench or press. I suppose I need to look at the different programs again. I had originally decided on PP because there isnt any room to safely powerclean in my colleges gym but i decided earlier: Fuck it, ima do some power cleans.

Start doing SS and just learn how to PC, it may take you weeks, but no shame in trying. PC's are worth the trouble.

PP Novice doesn't include Powercleans the first few weeks, but adds them pretty soon.

A: Squat, Press, DL
    B: Squat, Bench, DL

For a couple of weeks, then

A: Squat, Press, DL
    B: Squat, Bench, Power Clean

Then it gets a little more involved. PP 2nd edition, page 105.

starting strength coach development program
    If you are a thrower, you should be doing power cleans. Start now. Tonight would be good.