starting strength gym

Thread: Pain in Shoulder and traps + Availability of weights to train correctly for some week

Default Pain in Shoulder and traps + Availability of weights to train correctly for some week

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello everyone,
    I am not sure if I should have started 2 threads, but I have 2 distinct questions/issues.

1- when benching with my regular comp grip (pinky on the ring), with heavier weights, when lowering the bar, I feel pain and discomfort in my right trap and shoulder, turning the lowering into a sort of slow tempo! When I start pressing up there is less pain but I feel weaker and shaker on that right side! This has been the case for many weeks. Swimming helps a bit but when I do the max weight it comes back. What do you suggest?

2- Soon I am traveling to a remote area for 8-10 weeks.
    I have access to a garage gym but the heaviest bar I can load would be ~300lbs.
    My current working weights used last weak are:
    Squat: 385lbs×5×5
    Deadlift: 435lbs×5x1
    OHP: 185lbs×5×3
    Bench: 275lbs×5×5
    Rows: 300lbs×5×3

I am quite weak currently (age: 45, weight: 240lbs, height: 6feet). But last year was very instable.

So with 300 lbs only available, what should I do?
    For Bench and OHP it is enough. But for squats and deadlifts? Use higher reps momentarily like 8s for DL and squats? Do more sets?
    Let me know your thoughts!
    Thanks.

1. Get a diagnosis for your shoulder.

2. You are asking about how to train for strength without the proper equipment. How did you get strong enough to deadlift 435?

Some of your training will be replaced by exercise for the duration.

I see a couple of opportunities you may have here. First, for the non-pressing movements, you can learn experientially what Rip, et al. teach, namely that higher rep ranges do not build strength well. Actually experiencing it is not the worst thing. You'll still get exercise, you'll learn some things, and it will help you preserve the strength you have, especially while you continue to train what you can.

Second, depending on the garage gym, the reason you're doing rows now, etc., this may be an excellent impetus to work on power cleans....

Yeah! I totally understand I won't be gaining any strength during these few weeks.
    But I wanted to minimize the strength loss.
    I was building back up to my 500+ deadlift and 450 squat. But life keeps happening.
    I will try to re-incorporate some power cleans. I didn't do those since I did the LP few years ago!
    Thanks all 😊